Engineering Team Leader - Feeds SRE
Posted Jan 20, 2020 - Requisition No. 80820
Reliability Engineers in Market Data at Bloomberg fill the mission-critical role of ensuring our complex, real-time enterprise product is healthy, automated, observable, and designed for reliability. We work at
enormous scale - billions of financial ticks are being processed every day - and we ingest, enrich, and deliver it to clients within milliseconds. Our clients have extremely high expectations around latency,
correctness, and availability in order to react quickly and move markets.
We are looking for an experienced Team Lead for our London team, who will bring their leadership and technical skills to help us grow the team and continue to improve our industry-leading product. As TL,
you will lead a team of excellent engineers to focus on reliability in production and ensuring continuous availability of our market data. Your team will be accountable for monitoring, observability, intelligent
alerting, incident response, change management, capacity planning, provisioning, configuration, and orchestration. You will partner with component teams on system design and collaborative post
mortems. You will own end-to-end SLOs and work with sister SRE teams in New York and APAC to implement appropriate SLIs, set error budgets for services, and prioritize work that helps us meet our
SLOs. The team in London is growing, so you’ll also have the opportunity to help us hire and develop new talent in the team.
Some of our current projects include:
- Building a robust real-time monitoring platform to analyze real time data, historical trends, and metadata (i.e. holidays) to identify issues before they impact clients and reduce false alarms
- Developing an incident dashboard that measures and optimizes for MTTR and MTTD by focusing on user workflows
- Increasing production observability by establishing an event pipeline for services to publish state changes, and services to consume events and expose them to external users via a data model
- Enable custom workflows to run production in order to automate manual processes.
- A production health platform that runs continuous tests in production to make sure all components in the end-to-end pipeline are behaving as expected
As a TL, we’ll trust you to:
- Inspire and motivate a high performing team to achieve great results, while supporting individual growth and development
- Define the SRE role and help us establish SRE best practices that results in the highest quality in our products and services
- Participate in all phases of development with your team as a hands-on contributor, helping the team improve and deliver the right software through your experience
- Develop strong partnerships across component and sister SRE teams
- Get involved in the wider SRE community at Bloomberg and externally
- Troubleshoot priority incidents, conduct blameless post-mortems, and ensure permanent closure of the incidents
You need to have:
- An ability to foster a collaborative team environment; through driving a strong culture of teamwork and taking advantage of team diversity
- Strong knowledge & experience working with large distributed systems, including hands on programming experience in C++ or Python
- Excellent stakeholder and relationship management skills
- The ability to effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, peers and senior managers
- The desire to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle effectively through to resolution
- Experience in an SRE TL or Engineering TL role with a strong interest in SRE concepts and methodologies.
You can check out more about how we work and what it means to be an SRE at Bloomberg in our recent blog post: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres/
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran
status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing email@example.com.