Engineering Team Leader - SRE
Posted Jun 4, 2021 - Requisition No. 91195
At Bloomberg, data is our core business, and we need to deliver it with speed. This data typically comes in the form of trades, quotes, and other pricing data - to the tune of more than 60 billion unique events per day (and growing all the time) applied to millions of different instruments. In RDP (Real-time Distribution Platform), we build Bloomberg's data distribution infrastructure, which is one of the most rapidly growing businesses in the company. RDP provides low-latency market data and value-added Bloomberg data, via our open API (http://www.bloomberglabs.com/api/). We develop scalable, distributed, high-performance software that provides mission-critical data delivery to all Bloomberg desktop customers and a large number of enterprise-level applications.
What’s your role in this?
As an SRE team in RDP, our mission is to ensure the optimal availability, latency, scalability, and efficiency of the RDP infrastructure. We own our production environment – from the initial design phases to ensuring continuous high availability. You should be comfortable working alongside other engineers to help fix and debug issues with the production environment. In addition, the SREs also own and develop components that are critical to our system. As a technical manager of the London SRE team, you are expected to guide and coach the SRE team, collaborate with our stakeholders and the larger SRE community globally, as well as drive the technical vision of the software components that the London team own.
We'll trust you to:
- Inspire and motivate a high performing team to achieve great results, while supporting individual growth and development
- Lead the development of technical solutions to meet current and future business needs
- Establish best engineering practices that result in the highest quality in our products and service
- Create a strong and collaborative team environment focused on delivering value and increasing our capabilities
- Develop strong partnerships across globally-located internal development teams and business teams
- Take risks: our fast paced environment will require you to rise to the challenge and strive to exceed expectations
You'll need to have:
- Demonstrated experience leading engineering teams
- The ability to effectively listen to, communicate with, challenge and influence team members, peers and senior managers, locally and remotely
- The ability to contribute directly to projects through hands-on development as well as through effective delegation
- The desire to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle effectively through to resolution
- Deep understanding of large-scale system architecture
- Experience with running production systems, triaging and solving outages
- Working knowledge of UNIX/Linux internals
- The ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive team environment through driving a strong culture of teamwork
We'd love to see:
- Experience working with a global team and stakeholders in various locations
- Keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.