Engineering Team Leader - Ticker Plant Pipeline
Posted Oct 30, 2018 - Requisition No. 71628
Bloomberg Ticker Plant builds software that manages the storage and distribution of Market Data in Bloomberg. Market Data is information - trades, quotes, and other pricing data - gathered from around the world on every possible kind of financial instrument, from stocks and bonds to currencies and commodities. This amounts to more than 60 billion unique events per day (and growing all the time) applied to millions of different instruments.
In London, the Ticker Plant Pipeline team is responsible for the critical path that a market data message takes through the Ticker Plant host and its associated infrastructure. The system we develop and maintain is highly performant with emphasis on low and predictable latency, as well as effective utilization of the parallel processing power available on our servers. All of that, while keeping it flexible and simple enough to be deployed and managed across the hundreds of Ticker Plant machines. As a team, we come from diverse backgrounds and experiences that have enabled us to take on cross-functional projects, such Linux porting.
We are looking for a Team Leader who will lead a small team of developers within the larger team and contribute to the technical vision of the Pipeline team and the Ticker Plant as a whole.That’s where you come in!
As a Team Leader of a small software engineering team (about 4 to 7 developers), you will be a contributing software engineer in the team you lead. You’ll be expected to guide and coach your team members on software engineering best practices and industry standards. You'll be encouraged to take risks, meet with stakeholders, and collaborate with other Engineering teams beyond your organization.You will be actively developing and growing individuals through 1-1s discussions, training, mentoring and coaching. You’ll provide the leadership and guidance your team members need to help Bloomberg succeed and support them in their career aspirations. Your unique mix of technical expertise, product management, and people skills will be instrumental in driving the team forward.
What’s in it for you?
This is a great opportunity to be a hands-on technical leader who will develop one of the most core and critical infrastructure components of the Ticker Plant. You’ll gain valuable experience leading a small team of talented engineers, while remaining hands-on, to create the future technology of the Ticker Plant in Bloomberg.
We’ll trust you to:
- Inspire and motivate a high performing team to achieve great results, while supporting individual growth and development
- Lead the development of technical solutions to meet current and future business needs
- Ensure continuous improvement of solutions and discover new ways of working as a team
- Establish best practices that result in high quality of software, systems and services
- Create a strong team culture which is focused on delivering value and increasing individual and team capabilities
- Develop strong partnerships across internal development teams and business teams
- Take risks. You will be encouraged to explore, innovate and strive to exceed expectations, while at the same time inspire the same attitude within your team members.
- Take long term view on the team future: help develop, maintain, share and execute a multi-year roadmap for the larger Pipeline team, collaborating with your team members, peer TLs and management.
You’ll need to have:
- An ability to foster a collaborative team environment; through driving a strong culture of teamwork, high performance and leveraging our team diversity.
- Strong knowledge & experience working with C++, multi-threading and multiprocessing systems in a n Unix/Linux environment.
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems.
- Experience in all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Excellent stakeholder relationship management. Our customers are software developers in other teams, who use the Ticker Plant to publish and store data, as well as other teams who host business logic on top of our infrastructure.
- The ability to effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, peers and your management.
- The desire to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle effectively through to resolution.
- Willingness and ability to travel to other offices (such as New York) 2-4 times a year.