Engineering Team Leader - Ticker Plant
Posted Sep 27, 2018 - Requisition No. 70988
Bloomberg is the industry leader for providing real-time market data to the biggest players in finance - to the tune of 60 billion ticks of data per day. Our team, Ticker Plant, builds a critical piece of the core infrastructure that makes this possible. Our software processes and stores market data, with exchange feed and data-source specific business rules, for the entire company; this encompasses the main Bloomberg Terminal applications and enterprise products such as Bpipe (RDP) and Data Licence. This data is made available via both static server requests and real-time publish/subscribe streams. The software itself is highly scalable and distributed amongst hundreds of large servers; we have one of the largest hardware budgets in Bloomberg for a single product.
In London, we are responsible for the critical path that a tick takes through Ticker Plant and its associated infrastructure, along with the little-endian Linux porting initiative. We are looking for a Team Leader who will manage a team of developers and contribute to the technical vision of the team. As a TL, you'll be encouraged to take risks, meet with stakeholders, and collaborate across multiple Engineering teams. You'll help develop the roadmap for the system, and your mix of technical expertise and product management will be instrumental in driving the team forward.
What’s in it for you? This is a great opportunity to be a leader in one of the most core and essential components of the company. As well as motivating and developing the team members, you'll also have exposure to technical challenges and opportunities to still remain hands-on.
We’ll trust you to:
- Inspire and motivate a high performing team to achieve great results, while supporting individual growth and development
- Lead the development of technical solutions to meet current and future business needs
- Ensure continuous improvement of solutions and ways of working
- Establish best practices that results in the highest quality in our products and service
- Create a strong team environment which is focused on delivering value and increasing our capabilities
- Develop strong partnerships across internal development teams and business teams
- Take risks. Our fast paced environment will require you to rise to the challenge and strive to exceed expectations
- Take long term view on the team future: develop, maintain, share and execute a multi-year roadmap for the team.
You need to have:
- An ability to foster a collaborative team environment; through driving a strong culture of teamwork and taking advantage of team diversity
- Strong knowledge & experience working with C++
- The technical ability to contribute directly to projects through hands on development as well as led a team of software engineers
- A passion to develop business domain expertise in order to solve problems
- Experience in all phases of the software development life cycle
- Strong programming ability
- Excellent stakeholder relationship management. Our primary customers are Feed Engineers, who uses the Ticker Plant to publish and store data
- The ability to effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, peers and senior managers
- The desire to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle effectively through to resolution
We’d love to see:
- A diverse range of experience with a variety of programming languages and different tools
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems