Equity Index Product Development Specialist
Posted Jan 20, 2021 - Requisition No. 88350
Bloomberg is a leading provider of financial benchmarks and custom index services. We offer an innovative perspective on the traditional world of indexing, providing independent and unbiased indices that are broadly available. With expertise in capital markets, technology, data, pricing, analytics, distribution and research, our indices provide the global investment community with comprehensive solutions to fulfil their benchmarking needs across Fixed Income, Equity, Commodity, Cross-Asset, Crypto, Index-Linked and ESG. We also provide an array of services to clients interested in custom index development, investable index products designed to offer access to systematic strategies (beta, “smart” beta, and alpha), index administration and calculation agent services.
What’s the Role?
You'll be joining a highly motivated and successful Index team that sits within our Core Financial Product Group. Our Equity Product Development analyst’s work on the team responsible for idea generation across our Multi-Asset Index business comprised of Bloomberg’s Equity, Commodity, Currency, Strategy and Alternatives Indices. You will be responsible for developing the idea and working across functions to turning the idea into a new index product. You will work to create our index story and work with the Bloomberg Index team to meet our clients needs on new product development. You will be expected to regularly meet with clients and work closely with our Sales team in nurturing client relationships and continually advocating new ideas to Bloomberg’s clients.
You’ll adapt your communication style according to your audience and be equally adept at collaborating closely with colleagues across multiple teams as well as presenting to clients and soliciting feedback. You’ll be comfortable in working with large data sets and have a gift in extracting meaningful intelligence to drive innovation and product direction. You’ll also have great interpersonal skills as they are essential in order to effectively collaborate with other internal teams and engage with clients. You’ll be someone with the ability to approach challenges with creativity and enthusiasm; someone who has the courage to take positions advocating change and then deliver.
Regarding domain expertise, you’ll have a deep knowledge of the institutional asset management industry, understand index trends, regulation and understand what our customers need. You will most probably have acquired this knowledge whilst working on product development for new investment vehicles in past roles with index structuring desks, asset managers or index providers.
You’ll be expected to influence product vision and then execute on that vision. This may include product design, exploring strategic partnerships, and always delivering effective internal and external information.
We’ll trust you to:
- Contribute meaningfully to the creation of new Equity index ideas and guiding the business’ approach to new product development
- Communicate the product vision within Bloomberg and build consensus among senior leadership team
- Work across Bloomberg to collaborate on new product design across our research teams, engineering and index production
- Design complex index methodologies, build financial models to back-test and develop strategy indices
- Assess clients portfolio needs and translate them into index-based solutions
You’ll need to have:
- 7+ years of index industry experience
- Experience in the asset management, structuring and index product space directly related to turning ideas into indices and indices into products.
- Deep knowledge of equity data (e.g., corporate actions, fundamentals), equity markets and the equity index industry
- Proven track record in global equity benchmark development
- A strong academic background in one of analytical and technical degrees including, but not limited to: Finance, Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Statistics or Economics
- Hands on product experience, preferably from an index or research background in systematic trading strategies
- A good knowledge of financial markets, securities and derivatives and experience with Python and ideally with R and VBA
- Excellent analytical capabilities working with large data sets, to aid in solving non-routine problems in a timely fashion with keen attention to detail
- A broad understanding of the index industry including key products, business dynamics, economic drivers, and critical connectivity partners across key market sub-segments
- Strong marketing skills with a point of view on product positioning and product adoption strategy
- Ability to develop thorough, integrated, commercially sound business plans
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, capable of building enthusiastic support for new business ideas
- Deep understanding of regulations on financial indices and day-to-day governance determinations on index events
- Excellent industry relationships
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.