Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and it's our product. It's why thousands of companies partner with us. We're nearing one petabyte and growing, with no end in sight. Our data collects who, what, when, where and why of how our clients use Bloomberg products.
The Feeds Tactical team sits right in the heart of Bloomberg's global market data operation. We support the feed handlers that run all over the world and provide Bloomberg with the real time market data from financial sources. This includes the London, New York and Tokyo Stock Exchanges and hundreds more. The tactical team is a global multi-function unit aimed at improving the quality of software produced by the team.
We are responsible for the software development lifecycle and rollout of production software. We are also responsible for ensuring that the development cycle is smooth, software quality standards are met and rollouts are seamless. Our feed handlers are primarily multithreaded C++ applications that run on Solaris and Linux platforms using varying network technologies such as TCP and UDP (both unicast and multicast).
We are a relatively new team, with three team members in London to date. The team is growing with a range of different skill sets to be added. It will comprise of SRE, production support and developer functions. This gives you a huge opportunity to have a meaningful impact with wide accountability and exposure to many things.
We'll trust you to:
- Help to enhance our monitoring of alerts from the production environment and ensure a speedy resolution of issues. We'll also love it if you can fix code for us
- Work with the development team to highlight recurring issues. You will ensure these are addressed across all feed handlers in a consistent way
- Focus on automated tools e.g. continuous integration, automated testing and software installation
- Help to promote and improve standards within the wider group. You will work with your business partners and software developers
- Address gaps in the product and service to ensure a continually improving service for the premium Bloomberg market data product
- Champion Continual Service Improvement activities
- Ensure that support documentation is produced, maintained and improved
- Work with build teams to ensure applications meet operational acceptance criteria
You'll need to have:
- A never-ending desire to develop scripts / tools and to automate manual tasks where possible using Chef
- A strong appreciation of application infrastructure
- A strong understanding of application change control and application source code control disciplines using GitHub
- You know about Software development tools and QA
- You have excellent collaboration and partnering skills. You can effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, immediate peer group and senior managers
We'd love to see:
- You can program in either C++ or C on Linux.
- In-depth knowledge of creating dashboards in SonarQube to report code quality metrics
- The ability to offer 2nd line technical support. You will also be responsible for pushing infrastructure or 3rd party related support tasks and issues to your colleagues for 3rd/4th line support
- You are comfortable taking ownership and responsibility of issues and manage effectively through to resolution
- You have some Market Data industry exposure or knowledge
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think you're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.