Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and it's our product. It's why thousands of companies partner with us. We're nearing one petabyte and growing, with no end in sight. Our data collects who, what, when, where and why of how our clients use Bloomberg products.
The Feeds SRE team sits right in the heart of Bloomberg's global market data operations. We support the global feed handlers that provide Bloomberg with the real-time market data from hundreds of financial sources. Our SRE team is a global multi-function unit aimed at improving the quality of software produced by the team.
We are responsible for the triage and resolution of production issues along with rollouts of production software. We are also accountable for the software development lifecycle used by the Feeds engineers, ensuring that the development cycle is smooth, software quality standards are met and rollouts are seamless.
Our feed handlers are primarily multithreaded C++ applications that run on Solaris and Linux platforms using varying network technologies.
We are currently growing our team of Engineers in London. Our team comprises of SRE and developer functions which will provide you with a unique opportunity to reshape our entire production environment.
We'll trust you to:
- Help to enhance our monitoring of the production environment to ensure a speedy resolution of issues.
- Work with the development team to highlight recurring issues. You will ensure these are addressed across all feed handlers in a consistent way.
- Help to promote and improve development and operational standards within the wider group. You will work with your business partners and software engineers.
- Address gaps in the product and service to continually improve the premium Bloomberg market data product.
- Ensure that support documentation is produced, maintained and improved.
- Automate away manual processes to increase reliability and time to market while at the same time reducing cost.
- Work with build teams to ensure applications meet operational acceptance criteria.
- Champion Continual Service Improvement activities.
- Define and deliver SRE standard methodologies across Bloomberg.
You'll need to have:
- You are proficient in C, C++, Java, Python or Perl.
- Excellent scripting language skills: e.g. ruby, python, groovy.
- You have knowledge and experience of applying agile practices to software development.
- Version Control best practices, git, GitHub.
- Cloud fundamentals (e.g Open stack).
- Good knowledge of Configuration Management (e.g Chef, Salt).
- A strong appreciation of application infrastructure.
We'd love to see:
- Experience designing and implementing Continuous delivery pipelines using Jenkins.
- Familiarity with software development tools.
- Strong working knowledge of software testing practices and metrics.
- Excellent collaboration and partnering skills. You can effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, immediate peer group and senior managers.
- That you are comfortable taking ownership and responsibility of issues.
- A desire to learn new technologies and apply them where appropriate to improve the quality of our software and processes.
- A broad Market Data industry exposure or knowledge.
If this sounds like you:
Please apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.