Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and it's our product. It's why thousands of companies partner with us. We're nearing one petabyte and growing, with no end in sight. Our data collects who, what, when, where and why of how our clients use Bloomberg products.
The Feeds Tactical team sits right in the heart of Bloomberg's global market data operation. We support the feed handlers that run all over the world and provide Bloomberg with the real time market data from financial sources. This includes the London, New York and Tokyo Stock Exchanges and hundreds more. The tactical team is a global multi-function unit aimed at improving the quality of software produced by the team.
We are responsible for the triage and resolution of production issues and the rollout of production software. We are also responsible for the software development lifecycle used by the Feeds developers. This involves ensuring that the development cycle is smooth, software quality standards are met and rollouts are seamless. Our feed handlers are primarily multithreaded C++ applications that run on Solaris and Linux platforms using varying network technologies such as TCP and UDP (both unicast and multicast).
We are a relatively new team, with three team members in London to date. The team is growing with a range of different skill sets to be added. It will comprise of production support, SRE, and developer functions. This gives you a huge opportunity to have a meaningful impact with wide accountability and exposure to many things.
We'll trust you to:
- Help to enhance our monitoring of alerts from the production environment and ensure a speedy resolution of issues
- Work with the development team to highlight recurring issues. You will ensure these are addressed across all feed handlers in a consistent way
- Help to promote and improve standards within the wider group. You will work with your business partners and software developers
- Address gaps in the product and service to ensure a continually improving service for the premium Bloomberg market data product
- Ensure that support documentation is produced, maintained and improved
- Work with build teams to ensure applications meet operational acceptance criteria
- Champion Continual Service Improvement activities
You'll need to have:
- You are comfortable taking ownership and responsibility of issues, mitigate impact to production systems and manage effectively through to resolution
- The ability to offer 2nd line technical support. You will be responsible for pushing infrastructure and 3rd party related support tasks and issues to your colleagues in other teams for 3rd/4th line support
- You have broad Market Data industry exposure or knowledge
- A strong appreciation of application infrastructure
- A strong understanding of application change control and application source code control disciplines using GitHub
- Extensive experience in Linux shell scripting using Python and Ruby
We'd love to see:
- You have excellent collaboration and partnering skills. You can effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, immediate peer group and senior managers
- A desire to learn new technologies and apply them where appropriate to improve the quality of our software and processes
- You have experience of using Jenkins, SonarQube
- You know about software development tools and QA
- You have knowledge and experience of applying agile practices to software development
- You are proficient in either C++ or C on Linux
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think you're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.