Head of Legal - EMEA
Posted Sep 9, 2019 - Requisition No. 77192
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We also recognise the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
Reporting into our Global General Counsel, you will have management responsibility for a team of Counsel and Negotiators, currently 23 people. Your primary responsibility will be to provide critical leadership whilst building an effective, inclusive team and an appropriate and high performing culture. Ensuring smooth operation of the EMEA department across the Americas, EMEA and APAC with significant need for maintaining good relations with APAC colleagues is also a critical component of this role.
You will monitor performance and training, liaise with Department management in New York for performance and resourcing questions and lead hiring decisions regionally. This role will include responsibility for over-seeing the work of team members covering wide-ranging EMEA legal issues including customer contracts, procurement, property, networks, financial regulatory, contract, privacy, employment and litigation across all of the 50+ jurisdictions in which the Company operates in EMEA. Your internal clients will use you as the point of escalation and you must therefore build a network of senior regional contacts across businesses and support departments to ensure that legal resources are targeted and employed efficiently in line with business need and Company risk tolerance. As Department point of contact externally for customers, regulators and Bloomberg partners, you will be the face of the Department leading on BOB (Best of Bloomberg), pro bono and D&I initiatives in the region.
We'll trust you to:
- Build senior relationships in the region and globally
- Give, coordinate and challenge strategic legal advice across jurisdictions in particular under New York and English laws.
- Lead the team with humility and respect
You’ll need to have:
- At least 15 years + experience as a qualified lawyer/attorney in either the UK or US
- Significant subject matter expertise across the areas of Intellectual Property, Technology Transactions, Software Licensing and General Corporate matters
- Significant in-house managerial experience
- Excellent academic credentials having trained and qualified at a best-in-class law firm
- A real dedication to diversity and pro-bono activities with a record to match
- Able to work collaboratively with a wide range of other disciplines, often across regions and time zones
- Excellent eye for business and ability to think strategically
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and to both legal and non-legal professionals
- Ability to build and maintain strong client relationships
Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from you if you are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.
We'd love to see:
- Deep understanding of the legal and business aspects of licensing data, indices, financial information, software and/or technology products and services, preferably within a US headquartered organisation
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Opening date: 09.09.19
Closing date: 09.10.19
Salary: Competitive + Benefits