Legal Negotiations Team Leader
Posted Jan 17, 2023 - Requisition No. 113455
Bloomberg’s Legal & Compliance Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that arise across the Company’s various businesses. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program!
The Legal Negotiations team has front line responsibility for negotiating the legal terms and conditions of our customer contracts worldwide. Our colleagues depend on us to gain deep product and commercial contract knowledge in order to support them in closing the deal, while protecting our businesses from undue legal risk.
Based in London, you will be an integral part of the Legal & Compliance department, working closely with your Legal Negotiations colleagues, in-house Counsel and FinTech Operations. You will be responsible for negotiating licensing agreements and/or electronic trading services with Bloomberg's customers, which range from major financial institutions to government entities across a wide range of fin-tech products and services that are dynamic and often cutting-edge. We'll rely on you to build internal partnerships and balance both the needs and drive of Bloomberg Sales and our customers in a time-sensitive environment.
As a Team Leader you’ll be expected to actively manage the talent on your team, by developing, training, and motivating them, and providing them with support on the negotiations of their agreements. You’ll be expected to partner with the other Negotiations Team Leaders who cover EMEA, Americas, and APAC and provide support as needed (i.e., during vacations or high-volume periods) to each other’s teams. You’ll also be expected to perform as both a Team Leader and Individual Contributor, demonstrating a keen understanding of legal and commercial solutions, responding to inquiries and negotiating contracts alongside your team, while at the same time leading and coaching your team and strategizing with colleagues in Legal and Compliance and other partners across the enterprise such as Sales, Product Development, Finance, Contracts, and Accounting. We'll rely on you to balance the needs of internal and external clients in a fast-paced environment, while supporting strategic project initiatives which streamline processes and optimize our workflow.
We’ll trust you to:
- Respond to contract inquiries and negotiate legal terms and conditions with our customers
- Develop strong partnerships with Legal Counsel, Sales, Product, Contracts and Accounting teams
- Operate in an open and communicative way with our colleagues during all phases of the negotiation
- Be a quick learner who thrives in an increasingly regulated and fast paced environment
- Meet regularly with the Sales team leaders to stay abreast of business sales and product strategies and to get feedback on your team
- Be an active participant in identifying and supporting projects that continuously improve our own operations as well as those that streamline processes between us and our business partners.
You’ll need to have:
- A Bachelor's or Law degree or equivalent
- Strong leadership skills and management experience
- 7+ years of strong contract experience (preferably data/ technology contracts) negotiating legal and commercial terms & conditions with customers or suppliers*
- Significant experience partnering closely with legal counsel
- Superb written, negotiation and oral communication skills in English
- Excellent people skills across different cultures across the EMEA region
- Excellent organization and time management skills- the ability to manage and prioritize 25+ contracts and internal projects while managing a team
- Superb work ethic and excellent judgment in identifying critical legal issues
- Ability to clearly and confidently explain legal issues to business and technology professionals while providing pragmatic legal advice
- Ability to quickly learn and navigate Bloomberg’s proprietary technology which is an integral part of the contract process workflow
- Adaptable to the changing needs of our business partners and external customers
*Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.
We'd love to see:
- Strong interpersonal skills, confidence, and a positive can-do attitude
- Experience working with demanding Sales partners and customers, and applying excellent customer service
- A strategic thinker, who also has strong analytical skills and is forward thinking.
- A self-starter who is proactive, perseverant, and solution-driven, equally comfortable with a little or some direction.
- A leader who is responsive and reliable
- Strong attention to detail
- Someone who enjoys an innovative, challenging and ever-changing environment
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organisation that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, colour, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.