ML/NLP Data Engineer - Global Data Technical Operations
Posted Jun 25, 2019 - Requisition No. 75752
What we do:
At Bloomberg, our product is our data. The Global Data department is the core of Bloomberg's product offering, providing our Terminal and Enterprise clients with the data that powers decision making throughout the financial industry. We combine deep product knowledge with cutting edge technology to define what it means to be a modern financial data provider.
In Global Data’s Technical Operations team, our focus is on data engineering. We build large-scale automated systems that handle the huge variety of data that Bloomberg delivers to customers worldwide. We’re looking for Data Engineers with applied experience in the areas of Machine Learning and/or Natural Language Processing to join our growing team in London.
What’s the role?
You’ll be working with a group of experienced data engineers and data scientists on large and diverse data challenges, applying your practical experience within Machine Learning and/or Natural Language Processing to extract valuable insights from unstructured and complex data - the kind of data that commands a premium and is what sets Bloomberg apart from the competition.
You’ll get to design and prototype solutions that both improve internal processes and produce new client-facing content, and ultimately scale these proof-of-concept models into production systems using our internal technology stack.
You’ll have the opportunity to work in a collaborative environment with experienced colleagues from around the world, but you will also be expected to work independently and to manage your own priorities. As a technical leader in your field, you’ll be comfortable mentoring junior members of the team in your area of expertise, and present findings, progress and results to a wide range of stakeholders.
What you’ll work on:
You’ll be part of a team of data engineers building the systems that power Bloomberg’s Terminal, News, Research and Enterprise Data business with rich data and insightful analytics. Day-to-day responsibilities include the following:
- Own the end-to-end process of delivering solutions to real business problems, from start to finish: identify the opportunity, benchmark the status quo, design and prototype solutions, build the applications and data pipelines, bring the system into production, evaluate and monitor the results
- Design optimal solutions leveraging your knowledge of industry standard ML/NLP techniques on a wide range of financial data, ideally using the Python ecosystem for ML (e.g. NumPy, Pandas, SciPy, matplotlib, scikit-learn, statsmodels, Numba, TensorFlow, PySpark, PyTorch etc.) and NLP (e.g. NLTK, spaCy, TextBlob, Stanford CoreNLP, Gensim, polyglot etc.) on our big data/ML platforms. Tasks might include cluster analysis, real-time time-series analysis/forecasting for automated quality control, or extraction and subjective interpretation of non-numeric data from noisy unstructured text
- Define system architecture, deploy scalable productionized solutions at the core of ETL and stream processing pipelines in our serverless microservice infrastructure built on top of industry standard technology like Kubernetes & Kafka
- Present findings and progress to a wide range of stakeholders
- Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot issues for the production systems you are ultimately responsible for through pipeline and system telemetry, leveraging the likes of Grafana, Splunk and custom web-based real-time dashboards
Successful applicants will likely possess combination of these:
- BSc, MSc or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field and/or professional work experience in software development, data engineering, data science, or machine learning
- Applied ML/NLP development experience, designing software architecture and building production quality applications, using primarily Python-based industry standard toolkits to solve real-world problems
- Extensive Python development experience with awareness of latest trends in the development workflow, testing and quality
- Familiarity with both SQL and NoSQL data modelling
- Standard development environment experience and strong software development practices, e.g. comfortable with Linux, experience with version control (git), proponent of good testing/documentation practices etc.
- A proactive self-starter mindset and a great team player attitude, with a focus on delivering value through effective collaboration
- Project management experience, from idea generation through to delivery, along with the demonstrable ability to set a vision and plan for the long term, while working on immediate priorities
- Excellent communication skills, especially when conveying compelling stories of technical complexities to an audience with a wide range of technical domain expertise
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We’ll get in touch and let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process.
If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening date: 5th August 2019
Closing date: 2nd September 2019
Compensation: Competitive Salary plus benefits