Network System Reliability Engineer
Posted Mar 24, 2021 - Requisition No. 89780
The Network SRE team in Bloomberg is responsible for the observability, reliability and performance of the network infrastructure that provides connectivity for internal and external business applications.
We are involved with all aspects of planning, implementation and monitoring of network infrastructure, spanning over a hundred Points of Presence (POPs) globally and serve as a point of escalation for Operations. We work closely with other Engineering and SRE teams, Network Edge and Network Core Architecture teams, CTO office and product managers across the enterprise, driving technology forward and using Bloomberg's MPLS network, The Internet and the Public Clouds for business and client needs.
What's the role?
Our team uses both Design and DevOps techniques to best ensure the performance and reliability of applications over our network. We focus on growing the observability of our network and in quantifying key performance metrics.
As a member of the EMEA NSRE team, you will be responsible for the complete life cycle of a project, including research, testing, implementation, automation, documentation and monitoring. You’ll help guide other teams that we may hand over work to and to serve as an SME. Join us in the Networks SRE team to learn, collaborate and tackle exciting problems!
We'll trust you to:
- Measure key performance metrics of our network and proactively identify problems
- Use DevOps principles to script and automate workflows, testing for Network Operations
- Take ownership and work independently on problems and handle critical issues from Operations
- Plan, design, install and handle the life cycle of MPLS Provider/Edge Routers and Internet Peering Edge routers, including the recommendation of system software and hardware
- Work with an Agile attitude, to be data-driven and be ready to adjust the course
You'll need to have:
- 5+ years Juniper/Cisco/Arista Network Engineering and configuration experience with routers, switches and understanding of protocols and technologies including BGP, OSPF, PIM, IGMP, MPLS, L3 VPNs/EVPNs, Tunneling protocols
- Programming experience with Python
- A Bachelors or Master’s degree with a focus on Computer Science or Electrical Engineering preferred or equivalent work experience
- An ability to remain calm under pressure, to multitask, to be customer focused, and to communicate efficiently
We'd love to see:
- Experience with orchestration tools such as Ansible/Salt
- Hands on experience with Git, CI/CD pipeline
- Technology experience such as Cloud (AWS, Azure & GCP), SDN/SD-WAN, CDNs, Internet IXP, Whitebox Solutions
- Familiarity with analyzing packet captures using Wireshark and with tools like Fmad, Corvil, Riverbed
- Familiarity with testing procedures and pipelines using Spirent Test centre/ IXIA for Ethernet/IP/MPLS based RFC Testing. Jenkins's automation techniques.
- Familiarity with Visualization tools like Grafana/Kibana
- An aptitude for keeping up to date with the newest technologies like Segment Routing, Containers and Kubernetes
If this sounds like you:
Apply - if we believe you're a good match, we'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.