Program Manager - Government Innovation
Posted Mar 10, 2022 - Requisition No. 101348
Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg's unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
The Government Innovation programs build the capacity of local governments to solve problems effectively. Its initiatives – ranging from large-scale international innovation competitions to domestic efforts that help mayors hone their management skills and better use data in decision-making – equip local leaders with practical tools and approaches they can use to address local challenges. We currently invest in more than 200 municipal governments worldwide through grants, technical assistance, and participation programs. Our work environment is collegial and committed to outstanding results.
Based in London, the Program Manager will lead a dynamic portfolio of Government Innovation initiatives in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
This individual will monitor and ensure success of these projects and provide strategic guidance for program expansion and scale. They will provide technical assistance to and serve as a thought partner for grantees, helping to solve problems and drive project success; develop, implement, and manage strategies for measuring and tracking program outcomes; manage consultants and key partners to achieve deadlines and produce results; and research, develop, and implement strategies for expanding reach and impact.
The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial, strategic thinker with a demonstrated passion for public sector innovation and familiarity with urban issues or innovation skills gained through ten plus years in government, consulting, public policy, and/or a related field. The candidate will bring highly sophisticated project management skills and the ability to run complex programs from strategy development to implementation and impact assessment. They will be a proactive, experienced relationship builder who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment, is deeply passionate about providing philanthropic support that has a systemic impact on these identified funding areas, and has an unwavering commitment to results and action. They will thrive working in a fast-paced, results-driven environment, and will bring the capacity to synthesize complex information in a way that is translated effectively to different audiences.
We’ll trust you to:
- Drive project success
- Work with grantees to help them reach grant goals that align with Bloomberg Philanthropies’ priorities and mission.
- Commission and manage external consultants to achieve deadlines and produce results
- Identify and prioritize interventions with grantees; track effectiveness of interventions
- Develop, implement, and manage strategies for measuring, tracking and reporting out on program outcomes and impacts against goals and grant requirements
- Monitor grantee performance through analysis of city outcomes, portfolio-wide outcome data, grantee reports and site visits
- Produce memos, reports, and presentations to internal and external audiences highlighting grantee successes and challenges, as well as proposals for new or enhanced programming.
- Track and monitor grantee budgets
- Work closely with grantees and internal finance staff to develop budgets for approved programs and address budget issues that arise
- Where appropriate, elevate budget issues to team leadership and propose solutions
- Produce compelling content that our various content and communications teams can use and disseminate
- Clearly communicate project goals and updates
- Highlight specific grantee accomplishments
- Document lessons learned across cities
- Lead on special projects on an as needed basis and otherwise assist with ongoing program initiatives that are part of the broader Government Innovation portfolio
You’ll need to have:
- At least 10+ years* of relevant, full-time work experience in government, consulting, public policy, and/or related field; direct experience in local government strongly preferred
- Experience working and communicating with senior leaders within an organization
- Expert project management and demonstrated track record of delivering superior-quality results
- Strong attention to detail, ability to stay highly organized in a fast-paced environment, and ability to synthesize and rapidly report out on complex dataset and budget information
- Strong capacity to identify and elevate critical information and produce synthesis for colleagues
- Demonstrated passion for public sector innovation and familiarity with urban issues
- Ability to influence and motivate others to achieve objectives
- Ability to build cooperative, respectful and trusting internal and external relationships
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, and analytical skills; external communications experience a plus
- Creative problem-solving ability
- Ability to work independently with a decentralized team
- Comfort working in high pressure, dynamic environments and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, shift priorities rapidly and flexibly adapt to new situations and projects.
*Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org