Risk Officer – Chief Risk Office
Posted Aug 17, 2023 - Requisition No. 118188
The energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough; we work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open, just like our spaces. We bring out the best in each other through collaboration. Through our countless volunteer projects, we also help network with the communities around us, too. You can do amazing work here. Work you couldn't do anywhere else. It's up to you to make it happen.
Bloomberg’s Chief Risk Office (CRO) Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address risks that are inherent with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities.
What’s the role?
The CRO team provides coverage of both Bloomberg's regulated entities and products, and Bloomberg's non-regulated products and services. Our focus is to address risks and related issues by providing risk management as a service, focusing on providing and delivering value to help businesses and departments thoughtfully incorporate risk into decision making.
The CRO collaborates with other functions, including Legal and Compliance, Finance, Operational Resilience and Internal Audit, to provide centralized risk frameworks, processes, tools, training and advisory services to businesses and departments. In addition, we are responsible for risk reporting to firm-wide partners and senior management.
In an increasingly regulated global economic environment, we are looking to grow our team, seeking highly experienced Risk professionals.
We’ll trust you to:
- Monitor and analyze risks within our business units, applying good judgement when evaluating both the risk and controls framework.
- Work closely with business units to conduct an in-depth analysis of key processes, which may include documentation of process flows, policy & procedure review, and stakeholder interviews.
- Operate as a partner by facilitating First Line of Defense (FLOD) risk execution and partnering on Risk Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) training efforts.
- Successfully identify and mitigate against risks, and the adequacy of controls.
- Socialize gaps resulting from risk assessments with relevant colleagues and assist with remediation of gaps.
- Support an enhanced RCSA process including data collection and reporting.
- Monitor and analyzes risk data and metrics to identify trends, patterns, and areas for improvement.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to implement risk mitigation measures.
- Partner with more experienced subject matter experts, increasing your knowledge of relevant risk trends.
- Seek to ensure the integrity, completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of risk data.
- Stay informed on risk industry and educational/development opportunities.
- Use Governance Risk and Compliance (GRC) tools to evidence risk management, monitoring, measurement, and reporting within the division.
- Follow up on gaps, Incidents and Remediation plans that require actions for respective business units.
You’ll need to have:
- 5-7 years' experience in risk management.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Finance, Economics, Information Systems, or related discipline.
- Knowledge of financial markets, instruments, and trading lifecycle.
- Great collaboration skills with the ability to partner and advise across all levels.
- Proven intellectual curiosity through professional training, advanced degree or professional impact.
- Understanding of risk management frameworks, such as COSO.
- Prior experience in either a 1st or 2nd line of defense capacity.
- Self-starter, with the ability to work independently on certain matters and a positive work attitude.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to deliver work on assigned schedules.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to act decisively and independently to resolve sophisticated issues.
- Ability to simplify difficult concepts and challenges.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and efficiency of operating across a multitude of levels.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, and able to thrive in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
We’d love to see:
- Individuals who are passionate about all things Risk and are genuinely excited about playing their part in helping build a best-in-class program.
- Someone who is operating at either an Assistant Vice President or Vice President level/or equivalent at their current firm.
*Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/what-we-do/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.