Senior Data Engineer - Business Intelligence
Posted Jun 13, 2019 - Requisition No. 75563
At Bloomberg, our products are fuelled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock – from around the world. In Global Data, we’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
Data drives our business decisions and company strategy. Our Business Analytics (BA) team transforms disparate data sets into actionable insights for our product owners. We are looking for seasoned engineers with experience with ETL, databases, system design and implementation. We’re looking for well-rounded technologists with highly analytical minds who are passionate about telling stories using data.
In this role, you will have the chance to collaborate with exceptional colleagues located across the globe on projects with real impact. Each day, you’ll ideate and implement solutions that address core business needs. You will have the opportunity to invest in your career by growing your technical skills alongside colleagues who share your enthusiasm about technology. As an owner of what we build, you will advocate for our Business Intelligence (BI) solutions, driving usage in our organization. You will wear many hats, and have the flexibility to be creative and innovative whilst personally disrupting the status quo. In this role, you will harness project management skills to manage your time and help our team surpass goals. You’ll feel like you’re at a start-up, but you’ll be in a large and established organization with global reach. That’s Bloomberg.
As a valued member of our team, we’ll trust you to:
- Integrate internal and external data sources and systems with our BI application
- Closely partner with our business analysts to design and implement ETL processes, user tools and analytical solutions
- Design and develop data models and table structures, and ideate solutions to populate those structures with external data
- Develop ETL and business application processes using SQL, Python, Web based languages and QlikSense, with consideration to fault-tolerance, error logging, data auditing and data quality
- Curate data integration and technical solutions around Microsoft SQL Server, GreenPlum, and various other types of storage systems and ETL tools
- Partner with our data warehousing and administration groups on infrastructure needs and to prepare storage logical and physical models
Successful applicants will need to have deep knowledge and expertise in the following:
- Data structures, algorithms, multi-threading, design patterns, object-oriented analysis and systems design
- Relational database systems, data warehousing methodologies, ETL processing and dimensional data modelling
- SQL implementations: Microsoft SQL Server (preferred), Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Database performance tuning, query plan/explain plan analysis, indexing, table partitioning, and optimization techniques
- Data Architecture, Modeling, Enterprise Data Management and ETL techniques
- Programming in Linux/UNIX and Windows environments
You’ll also need to have:
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Experience working with database and ETL development and tools
- Created and managed the import and validation of data from various SQL databases, flat files, and feeds (e.g. JSON, XML)
- Validated operational best practices to support data and reporting requirements
- Ability to work both independently and with cross-functional teams
- Ability to distill unique business requirements and turn around solutions effectively and efficiently.
- Strong communication, presentation and influencing skills
We would love to see:
- Experience with or exposure to the Hadoop Ecosystem including HDFS, MapReduce, HBase, Hive and Pig
- Familiarity with Business Intelligence tools like QlikSense (Preferred), Tableau, Cognos
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies, specifically SCRUM
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We’ll get in touch and let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Opening date: 5th August 2019
Closing date: 2nd September 2019
Compensation: Competitive salary plus benefits