Posted Jan 10, 2022 - Requisition No. 98210
Instant Bloomberg (IB) is Bloomberg's instant messaging system, which is used by the Bloomberg community for real-time communication including exchanging quotes, trade ideas, news and other financial information. Our users rely on IB because of its stability, real-time performance and tight integration with many applications on the Bloomberg Terminal, which makes IB a vital part of their day-to-day financial workflows.
The main focus of our team is developing features that address the unique needs of our customers and differentiate IB from other chat applications. In addition, we put a lot of effort into improving our tools and practices around testing, continuous integration and performance profiling.
We use data to drive our decision-making, whether it be to decide between feature implementations, to motivate engineering-led product proposals, or to plan sprints. You will be a great fit for the team if you prefer an empirical approach to software development, formulating and validating hypotheses using data such as performance statistics, end-user usage metrics or capacity limits.
What you will be doing:
– Work closely with our clients, business representatives and UX partners to seek requirements and implement creative solutions
– Collaborate with other teams and departments to develop new full-stack workflows
You'll need to have:
– Strong knowledge of application architecture and design patterns
– Interest in mentoring others and sharing knowledge
– A passion for testing, rapid iteration and collaborative problem solving
We'd love to see:
– Experience with TypeScript or similar compile-to-JS typed languages
– Experience with Python or C++ programming
– Experience in working with large codebases
– Interest in improving tools and processes
– Interest in building chat products and / or your ideas for improving them
You will use:
- Python, C++
- Jenkins, Github, JIRA
If this sounds like you, apply!
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here:
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.