Senior Network Engineer
Posted Dec 1, 2021 - Requisition No. 98101
The Network Engineering SRE team at Bloomberg is responsible for the support, transparency, reliability and performance of the network infrastructure. This infrastructure provides connectivity, for internal and external business applications and our global clients.
What's the role?
We are looking for an experienced Senior Network Engineer.
The NSRE team are involved with all aspects of the planning, implementation and monitoring of network infrastructure, spanning over a hundred Points of Presence (POPs) globally. The team also serves as a level 3 point of escalation for our Operations teams. We work closely with other Engineering and SRE teams such as Architecture, CTO office, Network Core, Network Edge, and product managers across the Enterprise. The Network SRE team drives technology forward using Bloomberg's MPLS network, The Internet and Public Clouds for business and client needs.
The team uses both Network Design and DevOps techniques to best ensure the performance and reliability of applications across our network. We focus on growing the transparency of our network and in quantifying key performance metrics.
As a member of the EMEA NSRE team, you will be responsible for the complete life cycle of a project, including research, testing, implementation, automation, documentation, and monitoring. Join us in the Bloomberg Networks SRE team to learn, collaborate and tackle exciting problems!
We'll trust you to:
Plan, design, install and handle the life cycle of Core and Edge routing and switching devices that make up our L3vpn MPLS network including the recommendation of system software and hardware
Take ownership and work independently on problems and handle critical issues from various business units
Use DevOps principles to script and automate workflows following industry standard methodologies
Measure key performance metrics within Bloomberg’s network and proactively identify problems
Work in an agile manner, be data-driven and ready to adjust the course
You'll need to have:
- Superior networking configuration and “in-depth” troubleshooting experience with routers, switches and a solid understanding of protocols and technologies including BGP, OSPF, PIM, IGMP, MPLS, L3 VPNs/EVPNs, tunnelling protocols
- Advanced network equipment knowledge including, but not limited to Arista, Cisco and Juniper
- Expertise in analysing and fixing large-scale distributed systems
- Familiarity with testing procedures and pipelines using Spirent Test centre/ IXIA for Ethernet/IP/MPLS based RFC Testing
- Operational experience with capture and monitoring tools such as Corvil, Fmad, and Riverbed is helpful
- Familiarity with analysing packet captures using Wireshark
- An aptitude for keeping up to date with the newest technologies
- An ability to remain calm under pressure, to multitask, to be customer focused, and to communicate efficiently
We'd love to see:
- DevOps and automation skills - experience in building and managing CI/CD pipelines for provisioning infrastructure.
- Experience working with at least one Cloud service provider (AWS, Azure or GCP)
- Proficiency in provisioning and building infrastructure as code using tools such as Terraform, Ansible, Salt, Jenkins etc.
- Familiarity with Python and/or other scripting languages
- Experience with version control systems such as Git
- Knowledge of visualization tools such as Grafana and other web technologies
- Technology experience such as SDN/SD-WAN, CDNs, Internet IXP, Whitebox Solutions
- A good understanding of SRE disciplines
If this sounds like you:
Apply - if we believe you're a good match, we'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.