Senior Python Engineer - News Automation Infrastructure
Posted Aug 14, 2020 - Requisition No. 84396
Bloomberg is a market leader in Financial Journalism. We have a lot of data in our ecosystem that can be challenging for manual analysis. Automated news aims to uncover the signals hidden in these large sets of data, convert the signals into a news story and get the story out to our clients within milliseconds. Our team is responsible for the infrastructure that powers this.
We enable our “clients”(-another engineering team responsible for the content and business logic) to easily subscribe to data from across Bloomberg. We support a custom coding tool to write Python scripts which convert data to news stories. We support systems that configure when these stories will run and the encoding and publishing of the resulting stories to clients.
We have a fairly large distributed, microservices architecture. Stability is at the forefront as we provide primary news coverage for critical areas such as company earnings, change in economic indicators and bond issues. Some of these stories have to be generated and delivered within a few hundred milliseconds. The system also has to be flexible so people can go from an idea to a client-facing news story as quickly as possible.
What’s in it for you?
1. Working in a team with a great mix of infrastructure and application projects
2. Working in a very helpful collaborative team with a great team culture. We work together on all projects, with a lot of pairing. We are friendly, we like having tea with each other
3. Being at the forefront of automated journalism
We will expect you to:
1. Be keen to work in a collaborative scrum team, with collective ownership of the system
2. Experience in working with Python in a production environment
3. Experience in working with distributed systems and microservices
We would love to see:
1. Interest in system design and architecture
2. Ability to collaborate with our stakeholders - to take their ideas and break them down into technical requirements
3. A passion for creating good developer experience (for us and our clients)
4. An interest in coaching and mentoring
If this sounds like you, apply!
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know.
And do check out our blog, TechAtBloomberg.com/ to learn more.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.