Senior Software Engineer - Buy-Side Trading Platform
Posted May 10, 2018 - Requisition No. 67032
Bloomberg AIM (Asset and Investment Manager) is a buy-side trading platform used by the biggest players in finance. Our platform is a one-stop shop that enables everything from idea generation to trade execution and post-trade operations. It’s a huge system – built by more than 200 engineers – used to manage trillions of dollars each day. We’re the market leading platform, and Bloomberg continues to invest in our growth as a product and engineering team – that’s where you come in!
In London, our engineering teams own the trade processing stack. We manage the creation and life-cycle of every trade flowing through our system. We are tackling the problems associated with large distributed systems like latency and scaling, balanced with the need for reliability and accuracy required for a business-critical system. This year, we have multiple projects focused on keeping our clients ahead of the competition – ranging from using linear programming to find the optimal distribution of assets across clients, to consolidating and migrating our current trade creation flows onto our new high-performance infrastructure. Solving problems on this scale is hard so we’re always looking for fresh ideas and new technologies to leverage.
Technologies and the environment you’ll work in:
- Most of our system is written in C++, but we believe a smart engineer can pick up any language with some ramp up time. If you’ve been programming in another object-oriented language but you want to learn C++, we want to talk to you!
- We believe in using the right tool for the job, recently this has meant using Python and open source software such as Kafka and Redis.
- We always put emphasis on doing things right, so you’ll use industry best practices for testing, automation, and CI/CD. We own the full development process – from gathering requirements to testing, rollouts, and maintenance.
- Our system is entrenched in complex financial workflows -- you might not know the ins and outs of finance just yet, but that’s not a problem if you’re excited by the opportunity to learn them and build applications that enhance and improve clients’ workflows.
You’ll need to have:
- Expertise in your chosen OO programming language, and a willingness to learn C++ when you get here.
- An aptitude for problem solving, and a desire to build software solutions to complex business problems.
- Experience managing projects or working with multiple stakeholders to deliver business value.
- A team player attitude and collaborative approach to development.
- Commitment to building quality software through tests.
We’d love to see:
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Demonstrated experience working with a large distributed system and an understanding of its unique challenges
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
In the meantime, check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org