Senior Software Engineer - Commodities (Power & Gas)
Posted May 9, 2022 - Requisition No. 103391
The Power and Gas sector is one of the fastest growing terminal businesses in Bloomberg. Our team builds tools and applications to provide our customers with fundamental data such as power plants outages and forecasting of weather, power supply and demand. This data is crucial for our customers to analyse and anticipate to the short-term movements of these fast-paced markets.
Due to the nature of our business, we deal with high volumes of data 24/7 ensuring low-latency to our clients. Some of our most popular applications process more than 700 million points and take care of millions of requests per day. Therefore, we need to make sure we craft our system for high availability, throughput and scalability.
The team works very closely with Bloomberg analysts and various providers to understand the different markets we cover. Therefore, even if you don’t know anything about the power and gas markets, you will have the opportunity to learn about them in your daily interactions with the different domain experts.
Thanks to continued support from our business stakeholders, the team is able to put a strong emphasis on testing, good engineering practices and continuous improvement. We have a very mature CI/CD pipeline based on Jenkins that allows us to deliver new features fast and effectively with minimal issues.
What is in it for you?
- You will get to join a team who values quality, good developer experience and developing the right solution.
- You will get hands-on experience designing highly available and scalable distributed systems able to look after large amounts of data with low-latency requirements.
- The opportunity to learn some of the financial domain at the core of the commodities business.
- Engineers in the team are encouraged to spend 10% of their time to learn and experiment with new technologies or work on open source projects.
We will trust you to:
- Take ownership of the full software development life-cycle, from understanding the needs of the business through to coding, deployment and maintenance
- Design and implement technical solutions with an eye to the future
- Be a great teammate and collaborate with different departments across the company
- Use industry best practices for testing, automation, continuous integration and continuous deployment
You will need to have:
- Experience in Python and testing frameworks such as pytest.
- Experience working with relational databases.
- Experience in software design and architecture.
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Commitment to building quality software through the use of best practices such as testing.
We would like to see:
- Experience using middleware such as Kafka, Redis or RabbitMQ.
- Curiosity and willingness to learn about our products, data and users.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org / or our Diversity Partner EmployAbility email@example.com.