Senior Software Engineer - Data Snapshot
Posted Jul 27, 2021 - Requisition No. 92717
Bloomberg data moves global financial markets and data is the lifeblood of Bloomberg. The Data Platform teams enable application teams and content providers to scale their data by providing a set of tools, frameworks and managed services to manage the full life-cycle of their datasets.
The Data Snapshot (CASS) team is tasked with selecting and implementing the best possible solutions to create a scalable, high-performance and reliable platform that provides an enterprise-wide standardized snapshot view of financial datasets. CASS platform enables other teams to make our data move faster, be easier to discover and access to support our clients across every imaginable workflow, geographic location, and asset class. We currently serve 40 billion datapoints to different applications every day.
Our team is composed of a small group of technologists passionate about data and pushing the boundaries of technology to deliver innovative solutions. We focus where we can on modern design principles: loose coupling, strong modelling, horizontal scalability, and continuous development and integration. In our team, you’ll have the opportunity to work in all phases of the SDLC, across the full stack, and we’re always open to using the right tool for the job.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop applications that helps CASS serve data to its clients
- Creatively scale and operate the infrastructure and tools that handle terabytes of data
- Identify and develop new features and a roadmap to augment existing applications to serve data to our clients faster
You'll need to have:
- Professional experience using Java as your main programming language
- Hands-on experience with HBase/Hadoop/Spark – if you don’t have this yet but want to learn, we’re happy to chat!
- Passion for design, problem solving and hands-on development
- Curiosity and creativity. We are looking for individuals to join the team who very much want to know why something happened in addition to just that it happened. We have a lot of ideas, but are hopeful that your perspective will push us all forward together to deeper understanding.
- A passion for collaboration. We are looking for someone who is keen to collaborate across the company as we further our approachable and inclusive team ethos.
- A motivation to solve problems, not to patch over quick fixes. This is at the root of our goal to build products that last the test of time.
- An appreciation for analytics and insights in data
Technologies you will use:
- Primarily Java with some Scala and Python
- Big data technologies - HBase, Yarn, Oozie and Spark
- Kafka for messaging between applications
- Apache Ignite for caching data to serve low latency data requests
We'd love to see:
- Experience with Python
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Experience designing for iterative and experimental features
If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.