Senior Software Engineer - Database Services
Posted Dec 15, 2022 - Requisition No. 112436
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and our product. Our software solutions depend on robust data infrastructure to provide clients with this data. Our team is designing the next generation systems for handling this piece of crucial infrastructure. Our ability to provide a DBaaS (Database as a Service) platform is critical to our clients ability to retrieve and analyze large quantities of data. Ensuring our services scale, are robust, secure and reliable is where you come in.
The Database services team provides a database-as-a-service (DBaaS) platform that engineers depend on to drive applications throughout Bloomberg. We run several open source (Postgres, MySQL etc) and commercial (Oracle, SQL Server etc) database options, all of which Bloomberg is heavily invested in.
Our platform handles 100K+ databases and growing quickly with no end in sight. To support this scale, we are recreating our database platform with a focus on security, performance and self-service. We develop and run the services and operational toolkits that enable application teams to easily deploy data sets and query across them. We define database development best practices and use our collective experience to influence Bloomberg database architecture design decisions.
We'll trust you to:
- Engineer automated and self-service solutions to database administrative tasks
- Extend monitoring solutions to reduce the cost of managing databases at scale
- Prioritize stability and performance among multiple priorities
- Partner with application teams to achieve our business objectives.
- Promote database design best practices
- Improve operational processes and documentation
You need to have:
- Experience working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Excellent understanding of databases and database design patterns
- Ability to debug and correct production problems
- Experience in writing and troubleshooting SQL (stored procedures, functions, tables, views, indexes, etc.)
- Ability to detect and solve Database performance issues related to issues such as CPU, memory, disk I/O and other resource contention
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of distributed database systems
- Experience building applications (preferably Java or Python) that interact with databases
- Comfortable building applications with React
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and containers
- Experience working with open-source software/community (upstream accepted contribution, or community presence) is preferred
To find out more about Engineering at Bloomberg, check out www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org.