Senior Software Engineer - ESG Climate Team
Posted Jan 19, 2023 - Requisition No. 113561
Environmental, social, and governance (ESG) — refers to the three critical factors in evaluating the sustainability and associated potential financial performance of a company. ESG data is increasingly crucial for our clients – providing deeper intelligence than conventional financial analysis alone. Climate change, regulatory pressures, the importance of human capital, and diversity are just a few critical factors global investors consider to identify emerging risks and opportunities best. Mike Bloomberg speaks about ESG in the Bloomberg Impact report here - https://www.bloomberg.com/impact/.
Climate data and analytics are closely linked to the recommendations of the Task Force for Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD). One of the main focus areas for this role is to build solutions that can analyze and benchmark TCFD reports published by companies, as well as to build independent datasets and analytics that can be used to create, or validate, those reports. Think of, for example, company and portfolio carbon footprints, identifying material climate-related risks and conducting scenario analysis. Building these solutions will require close collaboration with other Bloomberg areas, such as Geospatial data. These solutions will help financial market participants to better understand which companies are taking action on climate change and which aren't. They’ll understand better which companies are most exposed to climate-related risks, ultimately leading to better investment decisions.
We are looking for a motivated senior software engineer to grow the ESG team in London and drive success.
What’s in it for you?
- Work with a variety of Bloomberg and open-source technologies, including Redis, Docker, Humio, Devise, Pytest, Google Test, cmake, Jenkins, and any open source technologies that will help get the job done
- Design, architect and develop software components from the ground up
- Partner closely with our product stakeholders to understand and influence a vision for our products
- Leverage an agile approach to software development
- Foster innovation by identifying opportunities to experiment and learn as we develop a scalable and reliable software stack for our product
We’ll trust you to:
- Work with a variety of Bloomberg and open-source technologies, including Redis, Docker, Splunk, Pytest, Google Test, pylint, cmake, Jenkins, and any open source technologies that will help get the job done
- Provide technical leadership in a recently launched engineering team
- Collaborate with a wide array of stakeholders within Engineering and beyond
You’ll need to have:
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Functional expertise building microservices
- Prior contributions to system design and architecture and scaling fault-tolerant, distributed systems
- Honest approach to problem-solving, and ability to collaborate with peers, partners and management
We’d love to see:
- Experience working within the Scrum model
- Experience working with Quantitative Analysts
- Experience working with third-party/open-source technologies
- Experience with containerization and CI/CD solutions (e.g. Docker, Jenkins)
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/engineering-experienced-hire-application-process/
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or our Diversity Partner EmployAbility email@example.com