Senior Software Engineer - Event Driven Feeds
Posted Oct 24, 2022 - Requisition No. 110701
As the financial world continues to move toward software rather than humans making trading and investment decisions, companies need streams of financial data to feed their systems and build their businesses. Our team builds distributed systems providing publisher/subscriber, request/response and end-of-day snapshot services via various APIs. Our services provide real-time machine-readable structured feeds of textual news, news analytics including various sentiment analysis, economic indicators, corporate events, and company documents. Some of our services also provide access to Bloomberg’s NLP model as a web service. Our enterprise systems are one of the fastest growing areas of Bloomberg and are used by banks, hedge funds, asset management and proprietary trading companies to drive their businesses. We work with internal teams across Bloomberg to turn our wealth of data and analytics into useful APIs and data feeds and integrate with external clients on the cutting edge of financial technology.
What’s in it for you:
Bloomberg's EDF clients require high quality data and analytics to use as inputs into their processes and/or models for portfolio analysis, automated trading or statistical analysis to discover investment opportunities. These datasets need to be delivered quickly, and in formats which are easy-to-use. Our team’s goal is to build new products to provide content to Bloomberg’s large and growing enterprise customer base. We aim to be the programmatic interface to the data available on the Bloomberg terminal, providing access to everything via software accessible APIs. As such, our suite of products is constantly expanding, providing you the opportunity to build new software and systems. You’ll have the opportunity to design and build new products from scratch, working with our skilled product and engineering teams to design and implement new technical solutions, while relying on the stable infrastructure of Bloomberg supporting your builds and deployments.
Collaboration is deeply ingrained in our culture and we work together every day, broadly following agile/scrum with a strong focus on achieving business and engineering goals. We deeply value continuous improvement and utilize our retrospectives to reflect on the past sprint and discuss what we can do to improve as a team. Inclusion and diversity are fundamental values of our team, and everyone is involved in making technical decisions to achieve the best results possible. We are keen on progressing our engineers’ careers and frequently hold career development conversations to align their interest with our product’s needs. We will support you at every step of the way to develop and fully utilize your skill set!
Choosing the most suitable technology or programming language is the focal point of the team to deliver efficient, reliable, low maintenance and low-latency systems. You will have an invaluable opportunity to work with a collection of technologies and languages such as Kafka and other messaging technologies, distributed no-SQL and relational databases, Hadoop, Spark, Web APIs, C++17/20, Scala and Python3.
We’ll trust you to:
- Design robust, resilient distributed systems and client facing services meant to run 24/7 supporting the businesses of financial customers
- Write well documented, production quality library and application code
- Drive the full life cycle of a project from gathering requirements to deployment
- Work directly with product stakeholders and other engineering teams using Agile development practices
- Ensure the stability of the software across the team via code reviews, continuous integration, and occasional maintenance
- Make contributions to the team through collaboration, mentoring of junior developers, presentations, and independently improving systems
You’ll need to:
- Have demonstrated professional experience as a Software Engineer
- Have professional experience using C++ or Python
- Be passionate about service stability, performance, and resilience
- Be organized and able to plan ahead (propose architecture design, provide technical details, project milestones/timelines and inter-team dependencies)
- Be great at working in a team and partnering with our stakeholders
- Have experience with building one or more of: distributed systems, service-oriented design, large scale library design, real-time low latency systems, high throughput systems
We’d like to see:
- Evidence of independently driving software projects to completion
- Experience with cross-team collaboration with other engineers, business teams and/or clients
- Professional financial knowledge or fintech experience
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.