Senior Software Engineer - Storage Engineering
Posted Dec 30, 2022 - Requisition No. 112881
Data is at the heart of Bloomberg’s technologies, which produce, distribute and protect some of the most critical and valuable data in global business. The Storage Engineering teams design and maintain the systems which store, process and protect that data.
This is not a traditional storage team: we expect our engineers to design and build a highly available, scalable, and durable storage platform. Our platform is a unique mix of commodity hardware, open source software-defined storage, and appliance-based storage solutions. In addition to shepherding our core storage systems, our team is modernizing our automation software for provisioning and management of both appliance-based storage and software defined storage inside of the Bloomberg ecosystem. The Storage Engineering team works closely with the industry and our engineering users to stay at the forefront of both evolving hardware technologies, open source storage platforms and software engineering practices.
We’re looking for strong software engineers with great coding, problem solving, and communication skills. Domain knowledge in storage is a plus but absolutely not required, we’ll teach you everything you need to know about storing bits’n’bytes.
What’s in it for you:
This is a unique opportunity to help build robust, petabyte-scale systems which will power the future of Bloomberg's automated storage infrastructure. We’ll trust you to make meaningful contributions across a diverse set of technologies and projects as well as keeping up with the best ideas in the industry, open source community and contributing new ones.
You’ll get a chance to work with some, or all, of the following technologies, SAN, NFS, S3, Ceph, NVMe Over Fabrics, Apache Airflow, HAProxy, Flask, React, Kubernetes, Openstack and many more.
We'll trust you to:
- Own the performance and availability of our storage products, innovating to continuously mature our product offerings
- Build automation around all phases of the storage lifecycle, eliminating toil, automating responses to failures, and generally eliminating as much operational work as possible
- Develop technical solutions which combine hardware and software to achieve required service levels, performance, and economics
You'll need to have:
- Experience working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++ or Python)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in software engineering principles with an interest in infrastructure
We'd love to see:
- Experience working with scalable distributed systems including deep dives into code, networking and operating systems
- Contributions to Open Source projects especially related to Storage, Automation, or Performance Monitoring
- Knowledge and experience with data storage algorithms, technologies such as erasure coding, and complex production troubleshooting
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
Our Open Source Commitment:
Bloomberg sits at the intersection of high availability, low latency, and large-scale computing. We have a decade-long track record of using open source software to build data infrastructure and applications that address the unique constraints of the finance industry. We also support a broad open source ecosystem to empower others to solve similar real-world problems. From technical governance to upstream collaboration, we are committed to enhancing the impact and sustainability of open source.
In this role, you’ll be encouraged to interact with global open source project teams and communities. If you have a desire to use, develop, and lead open source software projects, we encourage you to apply. To learn more about our activities in the open source community, head over to our Tech at Bloomberg site.
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here:
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, colour, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com