Senior Software Engineer - TickerPlant
Posted Oct 28, 2019 - Requisition No. 79223
Bloomberg Ticker Plant builds software that manages the storage and distribution of Market Data in Bloomberg. Market Data is information - trades, quotes, and other pricing data - gathered from around the world on every possible kind of financial instrument, from stocks and bonds to currencies and commodities. This often exceeds 100 billion unique events per day.
In London, the Ticker Plant Pipeline team is responsible for the critical path that market data takes through the Ticker Plant and its associated infrastructure. The system we develop and maintain is highly performant, with an emphasis on low latency and stability as well as effective utilization of the parallel processing power available on our servers. All of that, while keeping it flexible and simple enough to be deployed and managed across the hundreds of Ticker Plant servers. This year, our focus is on cross-functional projects, such Linux porting, improving latency, and upgrading our system to the highest technical standards.
Our team is made up of people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We value learning and development, continuous improvement and a positive and inclusive atmosphere within the team, all of which are crucial as we improve and maintain a large and complex system.
Who are you?
A hands-on developer who appreciates the importance of stability, performance and maintainability in a large-scale system. You’re interested in high-performance computing and researching new ways we can employ the latest technology - from both Bloomberg and the open source world - to improve our system.
We’ll trust you to:
- Design, implement and own critical components of our Ticker Plant stack.
- Participate in the full SDLC to produce systems that are required to be highly efficient, robust and scalable.
- Get to know development teams across Bloomberg, understand their application requirements and how we can best partner with them.
You’ll need to have:
- Strong knowledge and experience working with C++, multi-threading and multiprocessing systems in a Unix/Linux environment.
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems.
- Experience in all phases of the software development life cycle.
- The desire to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle effectively through to resolution.
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/ We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know.