Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Community Storage
Posted Jan 11, 2023 - Requisition No. 113341
Our data moves global financial markets – and conversations around that data are central to how markets are shaped. Our Community group builds the infrastructure responsible for delivering real-time communications between the 350k financial professionals on the Bloomberg Terminal. Our email (MSG) and instant message (IB) products deliver billions of messages across millions of chat rooms per day, including stock quotes, trade confirmations, breaking news alerts or help desk inquiries among others, forming one of the largest financial networks in the world and placing our team at the center of the Bloomberg universe! Our users rely on these products because of their real-time performance, extensive scale, ironclad security, tight integration with financial data and applications on the Bloomberg Terminal.
Within this group, the MSG Internet email team is responsible for the translation between Internet email and our proprietary mail/data format, as well as handling security checks, spam detection, virus scanning and LDAP directories. We run 600,000 mailboxes and handle 20 million emails per day. We are looking for an experienced site reliability engineer who is interested in working on our large scale enterprise email system.
We'll trust you to:
- Design and develop new features to support the business requirements
- Support the integration of our environment with enterprise email appliances
- Develop Python/C++ tools to supervise the health, availability, latency, and reliability of our services with a focus on fault tolerant approaches
- Administer email appliances and other Bloomberg-specific components
- Build and support our CI/CD framework, with an extensive suite of automated verification testing and static analysis tools
- Standardize our performance and planning environment to ensure our systems have room to grow as we continue adding features and users.
- Resolve service tickets initiated by internal department or enterprise clients
- Provide documentation, guidance and instruction to the help desk for handling end users' inquiries and service requests
You'll need to have:
- Experience working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Prior contributions to system design and architecture and scaling fault-tolerant, distributed systems
- An honest approach to problem-solving, and ability to collaborate with peers, stakeholders and management
We'd love to see:
- Experience with handling systems in production, including triaging and solving outages
- In-depth knowledge of Linux/ UNIX
- Experience administering and automating enterprise mail systems
- Experience handling application-level network issues and firewall rules
- Knowledge of email-related network protocols (SMTP, MIME, TLS) and email security (DMARC, SPF, DKIM)
- Understanding of LDAP based directory and authentication services
- Experience running open source mail servers
- Experience with network and DNS-based load balancing
- A passion for performance, robustness, and an engineering mentality
- Experience with incident response and blameless postmortems
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/ (http://www.techatbloomberg.com/)
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.