Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Data Distribution
Posted Dec 30, 2022 - Requisition No. 112856
The Real-time Distribution Platform (RDP) group builds Bloomberg's data-distribution infrastructure. We provide low-latency exchange-sourced market data (for example, stock prices) and value-add Bloomberg-derived data via our open API. We develop scalable, distributed, high-performance software that delivers this mission-critical information to all Bloomberg desktop customers and many enterprise applications.
In the SRE team, our mission is to ensure the optimal availability, latency, scalability and efficiency of the RDP infrastructure for more than ten thousand client-facing applications.
We achieve this with a balance of operational support and software development, applying software engineering principles to improve the overall reliability of the system.
We’ll trust you to:
- Build services and UIs to manage the application configuration for thousands of machines
- Develop and maintain tools to automate and simplify investigating and resolving production problems
- Create dashboards, monitoring and alerting to track the health of the live system
- Understand the current system capacity and load, predict future demand and make appropriate scaling recommendations
- Define standards and best practices with respect to logging, latency, troubleshooting and monitoring
- Work with application teams to review and influence the design of software to improve its reliability
- Facilitate continuous integration / continuous deployment to automate deployment and quality control (including functional and capacity testing)
- Investigate, triage, and troubleshoot production problems as they occur
You'll need to have:
- Experience working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, C#, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Prior contributions to system design and architecture and scaling fault-tolerant, distributed systems
- Honest approach to problem-solving, and ability to collaborate with peers, partners and management
- A proven track record triaging and solving live production problems with such systems
- The ability to work in a collaborative and inclusive team environment
We'd love to see:
- Experience with monitoring software such as Splunk, Humio or Grafana
- Practical knowledge of networking stacks such as TCP/UDP/IP
- Experience of latency monitoring and capacity planning
- Good knowledge of Linux
- Knowledge of continuous integration / deployment systems such as Jenkins.
- Experience of system testing
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here:
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, colour, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org