Site Reliability Engineer / Email - Communication Channels, MSG Internet
Posted May 17, 2022 - Requisition No. 103621
About Communication Channels (CC):
The Communication Channels team builds email (MSG), instant message (IB), and other communication and teamwork products. These products are used by the Bloomberg community for real-time communication, such as exchanging price quotes, trade ideas, news, and other financial information. Our products deliver 2 Billion messages across millions of chat rooms per day and our user base constitutes one of the largest and most influential financial networks in the world.
About the MSG Internet Team:
The MSG Internet email team is responsible for the translation between Internet email and our proprietary mail/data format, as well as handling security checks, spam detection, virus scanning and LDAP directories. We run 600,000 mailboxes and handle 20 million emails per day. We are looking for a senior software engineer who is interested in working on our large scale enterprise email system.
We'll trust you to:
- Design and develop new features to support the business requirements
- Support the integration of our environment with enterprise email appliances
- Develop Python/C++ tools to supervise the health, availability, latency, and reliability of our services with a focus on fault tolerant approaches
- Administer email appliances and other Bloomberg-specific components
- Build and support our CI/CD framework, with an extensive suite of automated verification testing and static analysis tools
- Standardize our performance and planning environment to ensure our systems have room to grow as we continue adding features and users.
- Resolve service tickets initiated by internal department or enterprise clients
- Provide documentation, guidance and instruction to the help desk for handling end users' inquiries, work orders and service requests
You’ll need to have:
- Strong understanding of large-scale distributed systems architecture
- Experience with handling systems in production, including triaging and solving outages
- In-depth knowledge of Linux/UNIX
- Experience administering and automating enterprise mail systems
- Experience handling application-level network issues and firewall rules
- Software engineering experience
- Proficiency in one of the languages: Python, Go, C/C++
- Strong interpersonal skills in English
- A passion for performance, robustness, and an engineering mentality
- Experience with incident response and blameless postmortems
- Knowledge of email-related network protocols (SMTP, MIME, TLS) and email security (DMARC, SPF, DKIM)
- Understanding of LDAP based directory and authentication services
- Experience running open source mail servers
- Experience working with containers and Kubernetes
- Experience with network and DNS-based load balancing
We’d love to see:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com / or our Diversity Partner EmployAbility firstname.lastname@example.org.