Strategic Lead, Clean Energy - London
Posted Nov 1, 2018 - Requisition No. 71704
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, innovative materials, and commodities.
With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day.
We are seeking a talented, highly-motivated individual to provide strategic leadership in our Clean Energy research practice. You're someone with deep knowledge on the energy transition and how new technologies are transforming the power sector. You've got several years of experience managing researchers and analysts and a passion for uncovering new insights and narratives in the global energy transition. Your analytical capabilities are both broad and deep, across technology, economics, policy and strategy, and you're not afraid to develop new opinions and thought leadership. You're a thoughtful, collaborative leader and someone who can get the best out of a group of motivated and skilled contributors.
We'll trust you to:
- Oversee our research activities in Clean Energy, including renewables, storage, decentralised energy and other areas of the energy transition
- Manage and provide strategic leadership to a global team of analysts spread across multiple countries and several sector-focused teams
- Work with team leaders and BNEF management to set research priorities and new directions for our clean energy research teams
- Provide analytical review and editing to our research output, maintain the highest levels of quality across BNEF's research coverage and constantly find new ways to improve our product
- Build a deep understanding of our global clients' needs, brief and work with them to help them get the most out of our research, and gather their input for feedback to our research agenda
- Provide thought leadership to the broader market and engage with industry, government and academia where needed
- Collaborate effectively with internal colleagues across BNEF and Bloomberg to maximise the impact of our research and ensure that our analysts speak with one voice on energy transition topics globally
- Drive cross-team collaboration and innovation, build a culture of curiosity and encourage our analysts to push the boundaries of our work
You'll need to have:
- Significant experience managing teams of analytical professionals, including supervising and reviewing analytical work and editing publications
- A client service mindset, demonstrated through years of experience in client-facing roles
- Experience covering (or working in) energy transition across various sectors and countries. Breadth of experience in multiple countries or areas is a big plus.
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, finding key patterns, applying judgement to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Exceptional communication skills and a collaborative leadership style
- Confidence providing leadership and supervision to subject matter experts, and an understanding of what makes research businesses 'tick'
We'd love to see:
- Specific sector experience in renewables, storage, power and utilities
- European and Asian language skills
- A strong, ideally international network in the energy sector
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Opening date: 1st November 2018
Closing date: 29th November 2018
Compensation: Competitive salary plus benefits