Technical Specialist - Managed Systems Support
Posted Dec 30, 2022 - Requisition No. 112874
The Escalated OS Support team manages a large and diverse fleet of Linux, Windows, Solaris, and AIX servers, handling all aspects of operating system administration including configuration management, task orchestration, kernel and performance tunables, and file-systems. You will get to work with modern, open-source tooling while maintaining mission-critical systems hosting a wide array of applications. We are driven to provide a service that focuses on process improvement as well as maintaining a culture of information sharing and team collaboration.
What’s in it for you:
The Escalated OS Support role will provide world class systems management and engineering skills for this global Linux/Unix and Windows computing environment.
We'll trust you to:
- Remediate host level OS issues as they relate to the environment and baseline configuration
- Perform OS level activity including investigation, maintenance and repair of servers
- Measure key performance metrics within Bloomberg’s network and proactively identify problems
- Work on a shift of 7am-3pm running from Tuesday-Sunday or Sunday-Thursday
You’ll need to have:
- Experience in a Linux/Unix environment as a system/network administrator or engineer
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Experience working in a 24/7 production engineering organization
- Must function as a member of a team and thrive in a fast-paced, interrupt-driven systems environment
- Ability to prioritize work including active data center service and projects in flight
- Extensive experience showing progressive levels of responsibility within the realm of systems administration engineering (Linux heavy)
- Honest approach to problem-solving, and ability to collaborate with peers, partners and management
We’d love to see:
- Ability to implement basic tunables and network settings using configuration management platforms (e.g. Chef)
- Excellent and rapid troubleshooting and repair skills
- Experience with LVM and network-based enterprise file-system management
- Prior involvement in coordinating activities with vendors such as software and firmware bug reporting and remediation
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here:
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, colour, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com