Web UI Developer - Data Technologies
Posted Oct 19, 2020 - Requisition No. 86725
Who are we?
Bloomberg is foremost a data company. Data is at the heart of everything we do; we collect it, cleanse it, enrich it, validate it, and make it available to our clients. This data is vast and varied and critical not only to our success but to that of our diverse global client base, and we continuously challenge ourselves to do this better and faster.
Our department is responsible for providing the tools and infrastructure to help get data from the outside world into Bloomberg. As an engineer in the Data Technologies Non Securitised Data (DT NSD) team, you will be responsible for the platform that on-boards Time Series data which drives Bloomberg's applications and enterprise systems. As our clients are shifting more and more to rely on machines to interpret data and drive insights, we are utilizing state of the art technologies to deliver unparalleled data quality. By joining Data Technologies, you will help us improve the accuracy, coverage, timeliness, and accessibility of our data to service our clients across all of Bloomberg's products.
What's in it for you?
You will be at the forefront of a change in the way Bloomberg is ingesting Big Data and making it available to its clients. In this particular role, you will focus on developing and maintaining our new user facing platform for the ingestion of Economic, Commodity, and Third Party datasets and ensure they are on boarded in a prompt and accurate fashion. We are aiming to increase the volume of data we have for those markets by orders of magnitude and need talented engineers to understand the full scope of what we, as a business, are trying to achieve, and come up with creative solutions. At present, this pipeline is highly automated and our first challenge is to scale it to meet our ambition. It is a greenfield project, with plenty of opportunity to design and build out new exciting functionality and drive the direction of the platform.
The London based DT NSD team is a technically diverse group solving a number of very different problems in very different ways. We pride ourselves on our intellectual curiosity and the quality of our systems, as well as our "do what it takes" attitude. Our new platform consists of an intuitive web based UI which allows users to easily setup ingestion pipelines, and leverages leading web technologies such as React. This is complimented by our scalable, distributed, ingestion pipeline running on industry leading technologies including Kubernetes, Docker, Kafka and HBase.
We are looking for an experienced Web UI developer to join the team and help develop the platform and take it to the next level.
We'll trust you to:
- Be able to excel in a collaborative agile environment
- Be part of full development life cycle, from back end services to front end development and automated testing
- Develop strong working relationships with Engineering peers and main stakeholders
- Own and understand the business challenges Bloomberg faces in terms of large scale data ingestion, enrichment, and dissemination and drive solutions to address those
- An expert understanding of web technologies and frameworks including React, React based components (e.g. Prime React, Material-UI, etc.), Redux, Node.js, HTML, CSS etc.
- Understanding of web browsers including Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox, and their various idiosyncrasies, including browser performance and compatibility
- Ability to design user interfaces taking them from mock ups for UX approval all the way to deployment
- A firm grasp of networking concepts including services, protocols, proxies, and firewalls
- Good system design and architecture skills
- Experience working with large distributed systems
- An understanding of continuous integration principles and writing testable code
- Good communication and strong problem-solving skills
- Experience using Linux/Unix
- Good knowledge of Python
- Experience working in an agile environment
You'll need to have:
We'd love to see:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
If this sounds like you, apply!
And do check out our blog, TechAtBloomberg.com/ to learn more.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.