Economics & Government Reporter - Manila
Posted Apr 14, 2023 - Requisition No. 115551
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest financial and business news organizations in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from intraday coverage through to in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It’s what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
We are looking for a reporter to drive our coverage of the Philippines’ economic and government policy, both by breaking news and doing deep-dive enterprise pieces. We are seeking someone with a solid network of sources and outstanding news judgment who will thrive in a real-time news environment and has the capacity to be an all-rounder, always ready to put us ahead of the competition in covering one of Southeast Asia’s fastest growing economies.
You will be expected to stay on top of policy announcements and follow the economic, corporate and market impact of political and diplomatic moves. You will exercise strong news judgment and explain statements from policymakers to our global readers. You have a collaborative attitude and embrace an all-hands-on deck approach. You will be accurate and fast in handling competitive headlines across a variety of topics. You will need to explore the best ways to tell a story, be it through a long-form article, a chart or a video package.
We’ll trust you to:
- Cover daily breaking news from press briefings, media statements and credible sources
- Be responsible for covering policy changes and their effect on markets, companies and the economy
- Handle headlines accurately and competitively, including from other reporters
- Pitch and write stories that give business readers a richer understanding of the Philippines
- Develop government, industry and other sources to produce exclusive stories
- Work as a key member of the Manila bureau, including doing bureau shifts
- Be committed to the best journalistic practices, sound judgment and willingness to learn
- Collaborate with reporters and editors around the world
- Be ready to jump on any story or assignment as needed
- Be comfortable with using technology and new tools
You’ll need to have:
- At least 3 years of experience in financial journalism
- At least 3 years of experience in a real-time news environment
- Ability to write clean, clear and accurate stories
- Knowledge of how financial markets, the economy and corporations function
- Strong understanding of Philippine corporate and policy environment, as well as the economic and financial story
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Flexibility to learn new skills and adapt to changing job requirements
- Experience of breaking news
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
Life at Bloomberg is many things, but it’s never dull. We’re a truly global business with a truly diverse workforce. We pride ourselves on being open, inclusive and collaborative, and provide a work environment that inspires our employees to be their best. We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive healthcare coverage, and programs to support you and your family through different life stages, from parental leave to generous retirement savings plans.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.