Montreal Bureau Chief
Posted Feb 3, 2022 - Requisition No. 100376
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. At Bloomberg, we connect decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. At the core of this network is our ability to deliver data, news and analytics through innovative technology – quickly and accurately. Around the clock, around the globe – we empower business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed across platforms.
Montreal is the heart of corporate power in Quebec, the focal point of French language and culture in North America and home to a growing technology hub and some of Canada's biggest companies, including the powerful C$390 billion Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec. The city is also a political powerhouse: No one becomes prime minister of Canada without a strategy for appealing to the French-speaking majority.
We're seeking a bureau chief who will be knowledgeable about the Quebec economy, the key players in it, and work with Ottawa counterparts to shape the broader Canadian narrative. He or she will be a self starter, breaking exclusive news and enterprise in a way that resonates with our global readers. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with a mix of subjects, including technology, finance, real estate and politics, and have an ability to bring key newsmakers into our coverage through interviews and editorial boards. Finally, the best person will collaborate across teams and departments and be proficient in both written and spoken French.
We'll trust you to:
- Demonstrate outstanding news judgement and deliver stories on tight deadlines
- Break news and produce high-quality enterprise pieces
- Proactively research and pitch news and enterprise on a daily basis
- Write clear and comprehensive stories
- Work effectively with editors across Bloomberg
- Attract top newsmakers to build the visibility of our coverage from the bureau
- At least five years of experience working in business journalism and across a variety of subjects and beats. International experience is an asset.
- Fluency in French and English
- The ability to build sources and produce memorable scoops and enterprise
- A high energy level and the capacity to move easily across different subjects
- Experience working as part of a broader newsroom and an all-hands-on-deck spirit
- Understand and synthesize Canadian business news as part of a global picture
You will need:
Does this sound like you? Apply! If we believe you’re a good match we'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.