Energy Economics Data Specialist - Mumbai
Posted Sep 29, 2023 - Requisition No. 120375
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. We help our clients gain a clear perspective on the trends in technology, finance, policy and economics that are driving transformation across the energy value chain. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities. BNEF has 300 staff based in 20 offices across the globe.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don't rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our Energy Economics team as a data specialist based in Mumbai, India. You have a passion for data and coding, and an interest in the energy sector, who will combine their skills to help the team improve their data management and processes for their core projects, including BloombergNEF’s flagship publications, the New Energy Outlook and the Levelized Cost of Electricity analysis. You will use your strong data, coding and problem-solving skills to improve and implement a framework for the workflow of processing, storing, and linking datasets from various sources, including energy models and Bloomberg platforms. You will also support the team in coordinating with regional and sector analysts in Asia-Pacific, who collaborate with the Energy Economics team in the energy demand and supply modeling. Being a team player is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds. You are comfortable forming and defending your opinions and you can communicate these effectively and convincingly to your audience. Periodic travel is expected.
We'll trust you to:
- Be proficient and creative in the development of strategies for robust databases and automated workflows, specifically within the context of data research, economic and energy modeling
- Be capable in manipulating, processing and relating large datasets stored in SQL and spreadsheet applications
- Be confident in working with individuals specialized in research and modeling without coding backgrounds
- Collaborate with other teams within BloombergNEF and other Bloomberg departments to disseminate and connect our data
- Analyze internal processes to find opportunities for improvement, as well as devise and implement innovative solutions
- Help improve the data and programming skills of analysis-focused individuals on the team and BNEF analysts at large
- Assist the team in their collaboration with research teams in Asia-Pacific
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- At least three years of experience working on data-intensive projects, including creating, linking, and processing large databases using coding languages, preferably Python (incl. e.g. Pandas, NumPy), and SQL
- Experience in designing and building automated data workflows for analysis and product development, as well as experience in data visualization
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving, summarizing and quantitative reasoning skills. An ability to quickly understand, distill and communicate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Interest in and enthusiasm for the energy industry and the energy transition, as well as some understanding of economic and econometric models
- Experience in working in teams and complex project delivery
- Very good communication skills, including fluent written and spoken English
- Good time management skills, initiative and ability to work on multiple projects at once
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel (including VBA), Tableau or other data visualization software
We'd love to see:
- A Masters' Degree in data science or, alternatively, substantial coursework in coding and modeling as part of an economics, engineering or energy management degree
- Project management experience
- Previous work experience with the Bloomberg Terminal or Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC) certification
Life at Bloomberg is many things, but it’s never dull. We’re a truly global business with a truly diverse workforce. We pride ourselves on being open, inclusive and collaborative, and provide a work environment that inspires our employees to be their best. We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive healthcare coverage, and programs to support you and your family through different life stages, from parental leave to generous retirement savings plans.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloomberg.com/professional
Learn more about our office and benefits:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for