Applied Researcher, Search - CTO Office
New York, NY
Posted Oct 11, 2023 - Requisition No. 120753
Who we are:
Bloomberg’s CTO Office is the future-looking technical and product arm of Bloomberg L.P. We envision, design, and prototype the next generation infrastructure, hardware, and applications for the Bloomberg Terminal. Our projects include machine learning-powered products, cloud computing infrastructure and strategy, open source stewardship, natural language processing, and more. We are passionate about what we do.
What we do:
Bloomberg is revolutionizing its search functionalities using state of the art technologies, including dense retrieval and large language models (LLMs). Our command line autocomplete and federated search system is one of the most heavily used systems on the terminal, with nearly all customers relying on it to find the data, information, and functionality they need. Each day, clients use natural language queries to search across thousands of functions, millions of securities and financial fields, and tens of millions of documents, such as news, research and company filings.
Beyond traditional search and autocomplete functionality, Bloomberg’s information retrieval technology is a crucial component of our generative modeling systems, including both open-domain and closed-domain question answering.
The Applied Researcher, Search position in the CTO office will lead our efforts to leverage LLMs to improve search across the terminal. This will be done by working on strategic research and bringing that work to clients through product development. Examples of applications include new search modalities like Retrieve-then-Read, improvements to core retrieval technology like query understanding and fact retrieval, as well as efficiencies in data labeling for learning to rank (LTR) model development.
Bloomberg has been applying machine learning and natural language processing to deliver a state-of-the-art search experience for fifteen years, and has built up a strong engineering, product, and research culture to support this work.
What’s in it for you:
The ideal candidate will have many years of experience providing thought leadership on product and research strategy. They will also have excellent collaboration skills, which will enable them to work with stakeholders across the organization and responsively address emerging business challenges. They are expected to serve as a representative for the office of the CTO internally to product management and engineering teams and externally to academic partners, industry counterparts, and clients. Bloomberg values our deep engagement in academic conferences and in the open-source community, and an ideal candidate would lead our efforts in both spaces.
An ideal candidate will thrive in an environment where they can develop a strategic vision and see it realized through their technical expertise, focus, and partnership across the organization in order to bring value to clients.
We’ll trust you to:
- Partner across the organization to develop a long-term strategy for our search products and information retrieval technology
- Guide our research efforts in retrieval-based question answering
- Serve as a deep technical expert consultant on information retrieval, ranking, and query understanding
- Form relationships internally and externally to grow our network and knowledge
- Set product priorities and ensure delivery for key strategic search projects
- Grow our internal search expertise, through people development, infrastructure development, mentorship and education (e.g., through https://bloomberg.github.io/foml and https://techatbloomberg.com/ai)
You’ll need to have:
- 5+ years of experience in a product-focused research role in search
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience in information retrieval, natural language processing, and/or deep learning research
- Several publications on search and/or applied aspects of LLMs or related technologies (e.g. ways to use models, finetuning, prompt engineering, interaction with LLMs)
- Record of working with cross-functional teams developing successful products
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills
- Blend of long-term strategic vision with goal-driven tactical focus
- Commitment to grow an inclusive and diverse environment
- Engagement with the research community (e.g., conference or workshop service)
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 240,000 - 330,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus