Applied Statistician - Data Technologies
New York, NY
Posted May 9, 2023 - Requisition No. 116124
Who we are:
The Bloomberg Engineering Data Technologies Department engineers systems and models that serve billions of data points to some of the world’s most discerning customers each day. The Data Science team is a dynamic, collaborative and intellectually stimulating bunch, working together on interesting problems to bring impact to our customers and clients. We care deeply about building a diverse, inclusive organization, and hope that you can join us in this exciting work!
What we do:
The vision of the Data Science team is to enable Bloomberg to offer the highest quality data products. We pursue this vision for two reasons: because data quality is a product feature that our clients value and are willing to pay for, and because understanding data quality empowers our firm to allocate resources more efficiently and make better informed decisions.
As Applied Statisticians on the Data Science team, we are experts in working with and reasoning about data. Colleagues in the Engineering, CTO, Product, and Data business units look to us as leaders in profiling datasets in order to reveal issues, defining comprehensive and standardized quality metrics, developing statistical and machine learning approaches to find and fix errors, and translating results into business recommendations.
What’s in it for you:
As an Applied Statistician on the Data Science team, you will partner across the organization: you will provide thought leadership and expertise to senior leaders, and you will mentor junior talent in how to frame and think quantitatively about data quality. You will gain financial subject matter expertise as you become deeply involved in projects. You will apply classical statistical and novel machine learning techniques to datasets in order to uncover properties, reveal patterns, and tell stories. You will help to own the vision for data quality at Bloomberg.
You'll Need to Have:
- An degree in a Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or quantitative field of study
- 4 years of experience in applying statistical, optimization, or econometric techniques to real-world datasets.
- Expertise in scientific computing tools - we use Python and expect you to as well - and with basic software engineering skills and tools (version control, unit testing, etc.)
- A sincere passion for data quality: exploring it, measuring it, and improving it.
- Dedication to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team.
We'd Like to See
- Experience working with financial data
- Experience in large-scale, data-rich environments
- Experience with Bayesian statistics, time series, panel data, behavioral analysis, text processing and/or alternative data.
- An ability to communicate research findings to technical and nontechnical audiences.
- An empirical, independent, and detail-oriented mindset. We expect you to take ownership of your work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We encourage individuals that identify with historically underrepresented backgrounds in tech to reach out if our team’s work excites you. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 250,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus