Bloomberg Intelligence, Thematic Data Strategy - Associate
New York, NY
Posted Sep 19, 2022 - Requisition No. 108916
Bloomberg runs on data. Bloomberg Intelligence "BI" takes that data and creates insight which drives financial markets. Our team of experts generates valuable written analysis, interactive charting, and functions which are published on the Bloomberg Terminal. In the BI Thematic Strategy team, you will be part of a fast-growing global research initiative to put BI at the forefront of thematic investing.
Bloomberg is looking for someone interested in investigating predictive data analysis to build market-leading intelligence in thematic investing. This unique opportunity will have an Associate Analyst engaged in the design, creation, management and implementation of large datasets. We’ll trust you to identify areas of interest where certain models/concepts can be applied and automated, to both new and existing processes for the team.
What's in it for you:
Our team values diverse backgrounds and an entrepreneurial mindset because that supports the fresh perspectives and innovative analysis that our clients rely on. As a member of this rapidly growing team, you will have ownership over data aggregation and construction/management of analytical tools, as well as research and basket construction processes to support Thematic Strategists and insight generation. This work will give you invaluable exposure to some of the most nascent and dynamic investing trends and challenge you to think about topics from both a macro and micro perspective. In addition, you will have the opportunity to collaborate across BI Research Analysts, BNEF, BI Marketing, and Core Product to support our clients' evolving needs and interests.
We'll trust you to:
Actively contribute to the team’s standard research activities (i.e. data, written research, idea generation):
- Write and interpret complex SQL queries for standard and ad hoc data mining purposes.
- Design models to answer targeted business questions and engage in data analysis at a high level.
- Create engaging visualizations of the data analyzed to depict outcomes.
- Educate other analysts on completed work in order to best integrate into standard deliverables.
- Research, develop and implement new methods of measuring and analyzing thematic basket performance and help support identifying macro perspectives and trends across investment themes.
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal departments throughout Bloomberg and external users.
- Work with other data and core business groups to help develop and improve content and functionality across the terminal.
- Interact with clients via our online messaging systems
- Participate in department-wide special projects
- Degree in Statistics, Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Finance or another quantitative discipline.
- Ability to understand and draw conclusions from underlying datasets
- 2+ years of experience in applying those skills to answer targeted business questions.
- Fluent in at least one major scripting language (e.g. Python, SQL).
- Must be able to address multiple priorities in an extremely fast-paced environment.
- Interest in financial markets and a genuine interest in developing a career in macro research
We'd love to see:
- Previous experience with the Bloomberg Terminal
- A high-level of proficiency in econometric and statistical modelling
- Research experience in either equity strategy or economics, with a core focus on identifying innovative ways to use data to drive insight development and research deliverables.
- Written communication and presentation skills, track record of collaboration
- An understanding of finance/accounting concepts with experience interpreting financial statements and performing quantitative financial analysis
- Familiarity with equity market indices and econometric data sets
- High attention to detail and demonstrable research and analytical skills
- An ability to meet deadlines, logically tackle problems and set priorities
If this sounds like you, apply today!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 90,000 - 120,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus