Bloomberg NEF Decentralized Energy Analyst
New York, NY
Posted Apr 12, 2019 - Requisition No. 74628
BloombergNEF Decentralized Energy analyst:
We are seeking a talented, highly-motivated individual to join our Decentralized Energy analyst team in New York. You’re someone with a keen interest in the transformation happening across the energy sector. Your quantitative skills are strong and you love to analyze complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients with a diverse range of skills and backgrounds.
You will be based in our New York office, working as part of our Decentralized Energy analyst team at BloombergNEF – the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading the future of energy, transport and commodities. Our team of experts, spread across six continents, provides independent analysis and insight, working with the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, resource firms, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and government.
You will be responsible for primary research and analysis on the evolution of the electricity grid. Together with colleagues, you will help shape our understanding of how the growth of renewables, distributed energy, electric vehicles and other technologies is affecting the operation of and investment in the electricity grid. You will produce reports, presentations, tools and datasets that inform clients of our view. You will also be responsible for answering client queries and collaborating with our commercial team to develop business – periodic travel is expected.
We will trust you to:
- Produce research on the factors behind grid investment, the impact of distributed energy, and the challenges faced by transmission and distribution utilities
- Develop new forecasts, tools and data sets that illustrate the changes underway within electricity networks
- Communicate your ideas effectively through various publication platforms, presentations and discussions
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry to gather information and insight on the sector
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
- Contribute to cross-company research and long-term outlooks
Think critically and cut through the noise of quantitative and qualitative information to form original, defensible opinions
You will need to have:
- A degree in natural sciences, engineering, economics or mathematics
- A passion for working in the energy industry
- Strong modelling skills and an enthusiasm for problem solving
- Expertise in MS Excel and working with large datasets
- A high-work rate and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills for presentations and reports
- The collaborative skills necessary to work effectively with colleagues from a range of countries and backgrounds
- Fluency in English
We would love to see:
- Experience or knowledge of VBA, Python, SQL, R or other coding languages
- Knowledge of power markets and the utility sector
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.