Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading independent provider of primary research and data analytics across energy, commodities, advanced transport, digital industry and innovative materials.
With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and passionate.
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our Oil Supply team in our New York office, which focuses on produces data and insights on the fundamentals and pricing of crude oil and products. The team produces research for clients in industry, government and finance, tracking and forecasting short-term production, analyzing the impact of technological innovation on well productivity, understanding how U.S. production is affecting crude flows both domestically and globally, and covering infrastructure and investment developments.
We'll trust you to:
- Become a specialist on U.S. oil production, refining, trade flows, and pricing.
- Build and maintain datasets and models to further our understanding of short and medium term oil markets
- Produce industry research, both quantitative and qualitative, by building a network of research contacts and using Bloomberg Terminal, public and proprietary data sources
- Effectively communicate findings by authoring and publishing research reports and datasets, as well as interacting directly with our clients and prospective clients
- Keep apprised of emerging materials and manufacturing technologies at the lab and R&D scale
- Act as a self-starter, have a high work-rate and have the ability to work on parallel tasks with attention to detail
What’s the role:
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct analysis and gather data, and present findings in written reports
- Build and implement market-driving products, data sets, forecasts and tools
- Develop innovative methodologies to enable successful fundamental modelling
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Relate our work to BNEF’s wider coverage and forecasts in energy, transport, and commodities
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
You'll need to have:
- A degree in a scientific discipline, engineering, economics or finance
- A proven understanding of petroleum production, pricing, trade flows and refining
- Strong quantitative skills; comfortable with large datasets and building complex models
- A natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- A track record of thinking critically and developing thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying skepticism to the claims of industry participants and pursuing insightful questions
- A desire to exchange knowledge and ideas with BNEF clients, and a keen interest in the business opportunities around oil supply markets
- Strong communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
We’d love to see:
- Post-graduate qualifications or professional experience in geology, chemistry, engineering, physics or economics
- Knowledge of oil production, shipping or refining
- Advanced skills with Excel and experience with programming languages such as VBA, R, Matlab, Python
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.