Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, innovative materials, and commodities.
With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our Oil Analysis team in our New York office, which focuses on U.S. oil supply. The team produces data and insights on the fundamentals and pricing of crude oil and products. You're one of those people who have a passion for energy markets and you want to be at the forefront of this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to analyze critically complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
We'll trust you to:
- Enhance our expertise in oil markets by taking ownership of a research area pertaining to oil supply markets
- Build and maintain datasets and models to further our understanding of short and medium term oil markets
- Deliver both quantitative and qualitative research, utilizing the Bloomberg Terminal
- Effectively communicate views and findings on oil market developments via reports, news stories, datasets, and direct client and media interactions
- Act as a self-starter, have a high work-rate and have the ability to work on parallel tasks with attention to detail
What's the role:
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct research, and report on the findings in a timely manner
- Build and implement market-driving products, data sets, forecasts, and tools
- Develop innovative methodologies to enable successful fundamental modelling
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Promote high degree of knowledge leadership in the market
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
You'll need to have:
- Solid understanding of the oil markets
- Minimum 2+ years experience as an analyst within an energy, consulting, investment or financial services organization
- Understanding of petroleum production, economics, and regional pricing
- Strong quantitative skills; comfortable with large datasets and building complex models
- A natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- A track record of thinking critically and developing thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying skepticism to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Advanced skills with Excel and experience with programming languages such as VBA, R, Matlab, Python
- Strong communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
We'd love to see:
- Post-graduate qualifications or professional experience in sciences, engineering or economics
- +2 years’ experience in oil and gas and/or finance industries
- Experience working with the Bloomberg Terminal
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.