We are seeing a talented, highly-motivated intern to join our analysis team to focus on software and technology platforms & cyber security. You're someone with a real passion for clean energy, and you want to be at the forefront of this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to delve into complex subjects and build your own network in the industry. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
You will be based in our New York office, working as part of our emerging technologies research team at Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) - the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading change in the energy system. With the unique depth and breadth of our comprehensive BNEF platform, we help clients stay on top of developments across the energy spectrum.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop knowledge on software platforms and technologies being designed for use in energy markets – industrial and consumer focused. Topics may include the industrial internet of things, cybersecurity, software for managing distributed energy resources
- Identify market players and analyze their products
- Monitor and record partnerships within the sector
- Comment on the relative strengths and weaknesses of individual software offerings
- Write and publish reports in English about technology software markets and products globally, covering functionality, economic analysis, company profiling and market player strategies
- Work with colleagues to identify and highlight the potential impact of the Industrial Internet of Things and cybersecurity on the energy industry.
- Engage with clients and industry figures regularly
What's the role?
- You will join as an intern in our global emerging technologies team, working closely with analysts from a number of teams across BNEF.
- As part of a team, you will conduct research and produce written reports on the findings
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry in order to check assumptions, gather insights and get non-confidential information.
- Gather and organize data on the industry
- Clearly communicate your research to clients and prospects
You'll need to have:
- Interest in and enthusiasm for clean energy, especially relating to connectivity and software solutions.
- Exceptional communication skills: writing (for research reports, in English) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media).
- Degree in a scientific, engineering, math’s or computer science discipline.
- Confidence conducting numerical analysis
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying skepticism to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distill and relate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Confidence conducting research calls and communicating with senior industry contacts and academics
- Excellent time management skills and confidence working on multiple projects at once
We'd love to see:
- Graduate degree in computer science or software engineering.
- Experience of the energy industry, ideally focused on software or security solutions, or closely related businesses and institutions
- Are legally authorized to work full-time in the United States and United Kingdom and will not require visa sponsorship in the future
- Can work full-time July 2017 – September 2017
We are an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.