You're someone with a real enthusiasm for emerging technologies enabling the Internet of Things, like machine learning, computing and communications. You are curious to understand how these will have an impact on industry digitalization. You like to develop original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience through writing and oral presentations. Your quantitative skills are strong and you love to dive into complex subjects and build your own network in the industry. Teamwork is important to you and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a wide range of backgrounds.
We are seeking an analyst to join our Emerging Technology team, writing about technology, startup, company strategy and economics of digitalization.
You will be based in our New York office, working as part of the Emerging Technologies research team at Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) – the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading change in the energy system. We help clients stay on top of developments across the energy sector, supported by the unique depth and breadth of our comprehensive BNEF platform.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop knowledge on software platforms and technologies being designed for use in industrial and consumer focused industries. Topics may include the industrial internet of things, machine learning, robotics and others.
- Identify market players, analyze their strategies and product offerings, and compare relative strengths and weaknesses
- Understand how these technologies will impact industries such as energy, transport and manufacturing and quantify and forecast these business opportunities
- Monitor and record partnerships within the sector
- Collect and analyze quantitative information on technology costs
- Write and publish reports in English about technology and products globally, covering functionality, economic analysis, company profiling and market player strategies
- Engage with clients and industry figures regularly, through visiting their offices, speaking at conferences, attending working groups, presenting content to clients and prospects
- Work with colleagues to identify and highlight the potential impact of the technologies your team covers on the other topics that BNEF writes about
What's the role?
- You will join as an analyst in our global emerging technologies team, working closely with analysts from a number of teams across BNEF
- As part of a team, you will conduct research and produce written reports on the findings
- Gather and organize data on the industry
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry in order to check assumptions, gather insights and get non-confidential information
- Clearly communicate your research to clients and prospects.
- Note: this is not a technical role in engineering or software programming
You'll need to have:
- Already graduated with a Bachelor's degree or higher
- Intellectual curiosity, interest in and enthusiasm for new technologies and determining how they work, and their impact on industry and energy
- Exceptional communication skills: writing (for research reports, in English) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
- Degree in a quantitative subject like math, engineering, sciences, or computer science
- Confidence conducting both numerical and qualitative analysis
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, finding key patterns, applying judgment to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Ability to quickly understand, distill and communicate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Confidence in conducting research calls and communicating with senior industry contacts, early stage companies and academics
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work on multiple projects at once
We'd love to see:
- Graduate degree in a quantitative subject
- Experience of the technology or energy industries, ideally focused on data solutions, internet of things, machine learning or related areas
If this sounds like you:
Apply! If we think you're a good match, we'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.