BloombergNEF - Natural Gas Senior Associate
New York, NY
Posted Mar 15, 2023 - Requisition No. 114804
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our Natural Gas analysis team. You're one of those people who have a passion for energy markets and you want to be at the edge of change in this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to analyze critically complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you understand how healthy debates inform solid conclusions.
BNEF is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities.
You will be based in our New York or Houston office as part of the Power, Gas & Carbon Collective in the Americas region, for BloombergNEF - the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading the future of energy. Our team of experts, spread across six continents, provides independent analysis and insight, working with the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and government.
BNEF TEAM ETHOS:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
WE'LL TRUST YOU TO:
- Expand our scope in North American natural gas basis markets by examining changes to the supply and demand fundamentals
- Build and maintain datasets and models to further our understanding of short and medium term markets
- Glean new insights and understanding from complex gas and power data sets
- Deliver both quantitative and qualitative research, utilizing python, excel, and the Bloomberg Terminal to develop your analysis
- Effectively communicate views and findings on gas market developments through reports, news stories, datasets, and direct client interactions
WHAT'S THE ROLE:
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct research, and report on the findings in a timely manner
- Develop and implement market-driving products, data sets, forecasts, and tools
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Promote high degree of knowledge leadership in the market
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
YOU'LL NEED TO HAVE:
- Basic understanding of the natural gas markets
- Advanced skills with Excel and competency in Python and Pandas
- 7+ years experience in an analytical role
- Understanding of market drivers that influence energy markets and the transition to a sustainable future in North America
- Strong quantitative skills; comfortable with large datasets and building complex models
- A natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- A track record of thinking critically and developing thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying skepticism to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Strong communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
WE'D LOVE TO SEE:
- +2 years experience in the commodities, oil and gas, or finance industries
- Advanced Python skills
- Knowledge of North American natural gas pipeline infrastructure and experience working with pipeline nominations data
- Specific interest in using your talents to support a faster and more efficient energy transition
- Experience working with the Bloomberg Terminal
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 110,000 - 130,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus