BloombergNEF Frontier Technology Analyst
New York, NY
Posted May 29, 2019 - Requisition No. 75315
Today’s potential, tomorrow’s energy. BloombergNEF provides a clear perspective on the technologies and financial, economic and policy trends driving the energy transformation. We offer the most sophisticated new energy datasets and models in the world. We have analysts and experts in six continents, publishing over 700 reports as well as commentary, reactions, and long-term forecasts every year - strategies for a cleaner future.
BloombergNEF is the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading the future of energy, transport, technology, and commodities. We provide independent analysis and insight, working with the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, resource firms, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and governments. We are a group of individuals with shared understanding and passion for the issues, but with complementary variety in skills, abilities and knowledge. We demonstrate an uncompromising commitment to continuous improvement, excellence and the pursuit of creativity, innovation and accelerated learning. We need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insight and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need team that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused and fun!
That’s where you come in. We are seeking a talented analyst to join our team in New York. In this role, you will focus on energy frontier research and technology. You're one of those people who have a real passion for understanding technology and its business impact, and want to be at the forefront of these developments. You enjoy solving problems and figuring out how technologies work and can track down relevant information and data. You are able to explain how these developments will affect industries as well as the opportunities for our clients. You have strong quantitative skills and you love to analyze complex subjects in order to make them simpler. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
As a valued member of our team, we’ll trust you to:
- Develop knowledge on advanced technologies relevant to the energy sector and adjacent industries. Topics may include recent advances in machine learning, microgrid technologies, energy saving developments in datacenter and communications networks and cybersecurity.
- Build a picture of the impact that these technologies will have on market structure and businesses, including their energy demand, efficiency, economics and complexity.
- Identify market players, analyze their strategies and product offerings, and compare relative strengths and weaknesses.
- Monitor and write about relevant industry events, such as partnerships, deals and product or technology announcements.
- Where appropriate, collect and analyze quantitative information on technologies.
- Write in an engaging and developed manner so that the work is both informative and easy to read and understand.
- Engage with clients and industry figures regularly, through visiting their offices, speaking at conferences, attending working groups, presenting content to clients and prospects.
- Work with colleagues in your team and other BNEF teams collaboratively, to draw out the best possible insights collectively for our clients.
You'll need to have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Math or science field.
- Genuine interest in how technology can impact sustainable business practices.
- Perspective on how businesses operate in order to identify the commercial implications of leveraging new technology.
- An appreciation of software and hardware technologies and related industries (general understanding).
- Mathematical literacy – specifically in linear algebra and algorithms.
- Obsessive curiosity and resourcefulness.
- An ability to quickly understand and simplify complex subject matter to any audience.
- Confidence in conducting research calls and meeting with senior industry contacts and early stage companies.
- Good communication skills: writing (for research reports, in English) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media).
We’d love to see:
- Previous work experience focusing on frontier research and technology (hardware and software).
- Advanced degree in Math or Science field.
- Understanding of finance, investment appraisal and capital markets.
If this sounds like you, please apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.