Breaking News Editor (Social Media Focus)
New York, NY
Posted Sep 8, 2021 - Requisition No. 95154
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in New York. Bloomberg's Breaking News team is fast and innovative, and our mission is to deliver important news to readers as quickly as possible, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead and have an edge in the markets.
As a Breaking News editor with a focus on news that breaks on social media, you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story not just from the Americas but globally. You will make split-second decisions and use strong news judgement to decide what actually has the potential to move markets, and deliver that information to our real-time clients in a format that is easily accessible to them, such as headlines or a short dispatch. To do this, you must be adept at navigating various sources of information, especially social media, with an awareness of the advantages and pitfalls of each. You'll take the lead when Elon Musk moves markets with his latest musings on Bitcoin or when Ray Dalio does an AMA on Reddit, and when a certain topic starts gaining traction on social media you'll be the first to notice. You'll need to be sensitive to the needs of equities clients in particular, and ensure that Bloomberg is covered on anything that may move stock prices in the age of the retail investor. You will also take the initiative to discover breaking news wherever it occurs, by leveraging your expertise and the exciting technologies available at Bloomberg.
Breaking News editors thrive in a high-pressure environment and love surprises. When unexpected news breaks, we will back ourselves to deliver to our clients and make an impact on their trading decisions. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in North America.
We'll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, government news, general news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Utilize machine-learning tools to ensure Bloomberg remains on the cusp of breaking news
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately, explaining why news matters
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors across the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You need to have:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Strong familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Experience covering financial and business news
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments
We’d also love to see:
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Fluency in another language is a plus
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
If this sounds like you:
Apply today! We’ll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.