Breaking News Editor - New York
New York, NY
Posted Sep 9, 2021 - Requisition No. 95259
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in New York. Bloomberg is one of the world's biggest financial news organizations, leading the way in covering a variety of corporate news including earnings, major mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and other market-moving events. Bloomberg's Breaking News team is fast and innovative, and our mission is to deliver the news to readers as quickly as possible, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead.
As a Breaking News editor you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story from the U.S. and the rest of the world. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including SEC filings, company websites and global regulatory wires; use strong news judgement to identify what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly and as clearly as possible to our clients.
You'll take the lead in covering the quarterly earnings of thousands of companies including heavyweights like Apple, Telsa and Goldman Sachs, using cutting-edge tools and automation technology to provide instant context. You will be the first to inform readers of surprise announcements, whether it be Jeff Bezos stepping down as Amazon CEO, a major bank disclosing a hidden charge that may tank the stock, or the FDA approving a Covid vaccine. You will be tasked to clearly distill why a story matters to our terminal clients in a fast-paced environment.
Breaking News editors thrive under pressure, aren't afraid to make split-second decisions, and love surprises. When unexpected news breaks, we will jump in to cover it rather than hang back and wait for someone else to take the first step. We work well with both people and technology. We understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and we're adept at separating the wheat from the chaff on social media. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in North America.
We'll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Utilize machine-learning tools to ensure Bloomberg remains on the cusp of breaking news
- Write market-moving first versions of stories in a matter of minutes, quickly and accurately, explaining why news matters
- Collaborate closely with Bloomberg reporters and editors in New York and around the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You need to have:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Three to five years of experience covering financial and business news
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments. News is unpredictable!
We’d also love to see:
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
- Familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
If this sounds like you:
Apply! We’ll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.