Breaking News Editor
New York, NY
Posted Apr 13, 2020 - Requisition No. 82440
We are looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in New York. We headline market-moving news and tell the biggest stories at the heart of the American financial markets. You have laser-sharp news judgement and a deep interest in the economy and global markets. You are able to make quick and independent decisions on news value under intense deadline pressure, but you are also a team player.
You are collaborative and resourceful. You constantly seek out new and faster sources of information, look for opportunities to work together with other teams in the newsroom, and monitor social media trends to stay informed. You are a self-starter with great desire to break stories that are meaningful to our audience.
We'll trust you to:
- Stay poised and sharp in the midst of a very busy, fast-paced, and demanding environment.
- Exercise good judgement and confident decision-making when faced with surprise news.
- Pitch story ideas and help design ways to break news faster – never sacrificing quality.
- React quickly to ensure headlines and stories move swiftly to the wire.
- Write in a clear and accurate way, explaining why news matters.
- Collaborate closely with dozens of Bloomberg reporters and editors in New York and around the world.
- Unearth news from both traditional and social media sources.
- Recognize what is newsworthy, and pass on what is not.
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team-player.
You'll need to have:
- 3 or more years of experience in a real-time news environment.
- Experience sending headlines, as well as writing and editing short-form stories.
- Understanding of financial markets and foreign affairs.
- Appreciation of how news breaks on various platforms.
- Familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources.
- Flexibility with hours and assignments.
If this sounds like you:
Apply! If we think you're a good match, we'll get in touch with you to let you know next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.