CTO Cloud Compute and Automation Architect
New York, NY
Posted Nov 18, 2022 - Requisition No. 111767
Bloomberg's CTO Office is the forward-looking technical arm of Bloomberg L.P. We envision, design and prototype the next generation of infrastructure, hardware and applications that interface with all aspects of the company. Our projects include financial products, broadcast and media, data centers, public cloud, internal IT and our large global network.
As a member of the CTO Compute and Cloud Architecture team, you will work with teams in Engineering and CTO researching and implementing new and improved ways to:
- Provision, manage and elastically scale modern cloud compute infrastructure with automation, DevOps and self-service capabilities in our own data centers, in public clouds and on our network's edge.
- Articulate, develop and continuously evolve the company’s compute, storage, middleware and application technologies via roadmaps and product ownership.
- Act as Product Owner and Architect to work closely with infrastructure teams on developing a technical roadmap.
As a member of our team, you will work with motivated and skilled engineers across the company to deliver secure solutions in a timely manner, and help us define the future of Bloomberg's cloud infrastructure. This is a unique opportunity to join a talented group and set the direction for a crucial growing division.
What’s in it for you:
- Access to cutting edge technology and empowerment to utilize that technology in proof of concept work.
- Contribute to the long term vision for cloud compute, storage, middleware, applications and infrastructure at Bloomberg private cloud and public cloud across AWS, Azure, GCP
- Influence the roadmap for future cloud technologies and how Bloomberg will build new infrastructure.
- Provide guidance for optimized and reusable cloud infrastructure across public cloud providers and in our own data centers.
- Collaborate with teams on various projects and products to provide reusable infrastructure components.
- Develop cloud infrastructure patterns by researching and using the best open source tools on the market.
- Help improve developer productivity for over 7000 engineers with modern tools and automation.
- Opportunity to work with and contribute to open source communities.
We'll trust you to:
- Take a leadership role in defining tools, techniques and technologies used to build Bloomberg’s cloud infrastructure.
- Support new product development, guiding teams with the appropriate cloud architectures, design patterns and deployment strategies.
- Prototype new cloud infrastructure technologies, and understand how they fit into Bloomberg's existing environment.
- Have strong communication skills with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels and across functions.
- Identify and mentor the next generation of cloud leadership throughout Bloomberg.
- Foster a culture of cloud and security best practices while balancing the trade-offs between security, usability and performance at a large scale.
- Attend various industry conferences.
You’ll need to have:
- 5+ years of experience automating, building, maintaining and managing various aspects of large-scale cloud infrastructure.
- 2+ years of programming experience in Python or Go.
- 2+ years of automation experience with AWS, Azure or GCP using Terraform or equivalent.
- A track record of building collaborative relationships with stakeholders across many functions, with a focus on correctness, scalability and usability of cloud infrastructure.
- Experience with container technologies, Docker, Kubernetes.
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Experience with developing, deploying and managing RESTful APIs.
We'd love to see:
- Past private and public cloud automation projects and responsibilities in large-scale products.
- Familiarity with network protocols and stacks across OSI layers.
- Experience with public cloud platforms including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform.
- Breadth of knowledge in systems, networks, and software.
- Familiarity with financial markets and products.
Our Open Source Commitment:
Bloomberg sits at the intersection of high availability, low latency, and large-scale computing. We have a decade-long track record of using open source software to build data infrastructure and applications that address the unique constraints of the finance industry. We also support a broad open source ecosystem to empower others to solve similar real-world problems. From technical governance to upstream collaboration, we are committed to enhancing the impact and sustainability of open source.
In this role, you’ll be expected to interact with global open source project teams and communities. If you have a desire to use, develop, and lead open source software projects, we encourage you to apply. To learn more about our activities in the open source community, head over to our Tech at Bloomberg site.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 240,000 - 330,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus