Climate Finance Communications Manager
New York, NY
Posted Dec 10, 2021 - Requisition No. 98696
Bloomberg L.P. provides the global financial community with data-driven insights, news, and analysis to help them integrate an ESG lens across the investment process. As a company, Bloomberg L.P. is also leading by example, including committing to net-zero carbon emissions by 2025 and taking action in the communities where its employees live and work. And through Bloomberg’s stewardship of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), the Climate Finance Leadership Initiative (CFLI), and the Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero (GFANZ), Bloomberg is using the power of the capital markets to address climate change and support the transition to a net-zero economy.
As part of Bloomberg’s External Relations department, our Global Public Policy team is responsible for leading engagement with Government and Regulatory authorities in relation to policy formation impacting Bloomberg and our clients and leading the firm’s external climate finance initiatives.
Our team builds and maintains a broad network of partners and key decision makers – including clients, policymakers, and regulators – which we convene regularly to constructively feed into policy making processes and climate finance initiatives. We also coordinate closely with the other key divisions of External Relations, Bloomberg core business, Bloomberg Philanthropies as well as Legal and Compliance.
What’s the role?
We are looking for someone who is passionate about the intersection between the capital markets and climate change. While this role officially sits in the Global Public Policy team, it will be focused on communications strategy and execution and report into the Global Head of Climate Finance Communications (also a member of the Global Public Policy team). The role will play a critical part in communicating about Bloomberg’s three core climate finance initiatives, which Michael Bloomberg Chairs:
Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures: The TCFD is the leading framework for climate-related financial reporting and has been embraced by the G7 and G20. More than 2,700 organizations representing over $25 trillion in market capitalization support the TCFD, and nine jurisdictions have announced they will incorporate the TCFD framework into their climate reporting requirements.
Climate Finance Leadership Initiative: The CFLI, formed by Michael R. Bloomberg at the request of the United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres, convenes leading companies to mobilize and scale private capital for climate solutions in emerging markets.
Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero: GFANZ is a global coalition of leading financial institutions in the UN’s Race to Zero that is committed to accelerating and mainstreaming the decarbonization of the world economy and reaching net-zero emissions by 2050.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in financial services communications and be knowledgeable about how the impacts of climate change are shaping the future of the financial sector. This person thrives in a high-energy, entrepreneurial environment and has excellent judgment when it comes to external communications and media relations. This person acts with urgency and is comfortable working with high-profile spokespeople and crafting a compelling narrative – even with the most complex subject matter.
We'll trust you to handle:
- Communications strategy and execution – with PR agency support – for Bloomberg’s climate finance initiatives.
- Management of PR agency.
- Development of spokesperson talking points, FAQs, speeches and thought leadership content.
- Manage daily press inquiries on climate finance efforts.
- Crisis communications as needed.
You'll need to have:
- 6-9 years applicable experience working in external communications, with financial services experience a plus.
- Battle-tested media relations skills, including strong relationships with top-tier and trade press.
- Strong ability to grasp complex ideas and communicate them externally to a wide variety of audiences.
- Robust executive communications experience, including support with speechwriting, op-ed development and press interview management.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, with a critical eye for detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – people love working with you, and you shine when managing multiple stakeholders and competing priorities.
- Ability to get up to speed quickly on all of Bloomberg’s climate finance initiatives.
- High degree of flexibility, professionalism and customer-focus.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.