Climate Reporter, U.S.
New York, NY
Posted Aug 22, 2019 - Requisition No. 76830
We are looking for an experienced reporter to write about climate change in North America. The successful applicant will need to be a self-starter with a deep curiosity for the intersection of business, climate, society and policy. We want someone who can deliver sharply reported examinations of environmental impacts on economic infrastructure and industries. This is a wide-ranging role meant to focus on how rising sea levels and changing weather patterns are forcing companies, investors and politicians to adapt. The successful climate reporter will be equally adept at responding to disasters while finding creative ways to capture climate reverberations in national politics.
This reporter will deliver memorable stories that reach far beyond daily news headlines. This role is about understanding the risks of floods, fires, droughts -- and also about how these risks force adaptation by communities and businesses. It is an opportunity for someone driven to collaborate with reporters on Bloomberg's business, economics, markets, tech and politics teams.
We’ll trust you to:
- Generate story and project ideas that make vivid the impact of climate change in the U.S. and elsewhere in North America.
- Write long-form stories with narrative scope and rich details.
- Respond to climate-related news events in the region, with an ability to quickly place developments into thoughtful context
- Tell data-driven stories informed by climate science, economics, and government policy
- Interact with Bloomberg reporters to generate ideas and leverage expertise
- Report with the highest standards and integrity, valuing precision, accuracy and transparency above all else.
You’ll need to have:
- Minimum of five years in journalism, with preference given to those with a background in business or climate reporting at a national level
- A demonstrated ability to conceive and deliver deeply reported features.
- Ability to work in an energetic, dynamic, and fast-paced environment.
- Strong news judgment and ability to make decisions with confidence.
- A proactive and motivated approach to each day.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Finance, Economics, Journalism or related field.
We’d love to see:
- Experience working in a fast-paced news environment.
- Familiarity with journalism across platforms, including digital, video, podcasts and data visualizations.
If this sounds like you, apply today! We're eager to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.